Solar Chlor XT and MAX

smid87

Jun 2, 2013
I recently purchased the Solar Chlor Max and so far so good. I am not expecting it to eliminate the need for chemicals, but rather reduce my dependence on them!! OH, and reduce my dependence on the power grid!!! :lol: :cool: :party:

http://solarchlor.com/Other%20Products.htm and scroll down a little.
I sent an E-mail to the company (calling them is pointless). They responded that the mineral anode is no longer shipped with the unit! :-D

These have been discussed before (try the search feature). Is it not true the the cells can not be replaced meanwhile ALL other SWG require a cell replacement every 3-7 years?

Hope you do not have a lot of cloudy days ... how can you dial in the system when the output is dependant on the amount of sun?

Hope it works out for you, but their website is quite deceptive.

jblizzle said:
These have been discussed before (try the search feature). Is it not true the the cells can not be replaced meanwhile ALL other SWG require a cell replacement every 3-7 years?

Hope you do not have a lot of cloudy days ... how can you dial in the system when the output is dependant on the amount of sun?

Hope it works out for you, but their website is quite deceptive.

I get the feeling that it is a one man operation as I asked about several of the claims and many responses were.. I have not updated the site yet. IN particular one example is the mineral anode that is no longer included... It is still listed as a component on the website and in the included literature. As for dialing it in, there are three settings low, medium and high, but I have mine on high right now because of the overcast weather and rain. It appears you could replace the cells, but they say you should not have to :roll: . Time will tell. I decided on this unit because it uses no electricity from the grid and works whether or not the pump is on. This also reduces the amount of electricity I used. If I have to throw some chlorine in every week (it should be a major reduction) it will still be cheaper than the electricity. Our rates are pretty high here in the North East. I could see this product getting better with a bigger solar panel and a battery pack to keep it running overnight or on cloudy days!!! Then improve the electronics so it has a sensor that determines the level of chlorine in the pool and can self adjust!!!

Plus it is just cool to say I create my chlorine from the sun and salt!!!!

One other note is that the site is mainly talking about the drop in unit, not the deck mount unit I bought. Look on the other product page and you will see the unit I got. Since I only paid $400 for it I should make that back in the next 1-2 years even if I only reduce my chemical purchase by 90%. This is what I figured would happen. I am hopeful they will get better as time goes on. They are the same technology, just solar rather then paid for electricity. They just need to catch up with the automation the electric versions have.

The "cost" of solar power is higher than the cost of utility power in most of the country, even when using very efficient utility scale solar panel installations. You pay that cost up front to purchase the panels rather than over time. For small panels like the one that comes with that unit the cost of the panel is way way higher than the cost of the equivalent amount of utility power.

One of the reasons the Solar Chlor Max is relatively inexpensive is that it doesn't produce nearly as much chlorine as a typical SWG of more conventional design.

JasonLion said:
The "cost" of solar power is higher than the cost of utility power in most of the country, even when using very efficient utility scale solar panel installations. You pay that cost up front to purchase the panels rather than over time. For small panels like the one that comes with that unit the cost of the panel is way way higher than the cost of the equivalent amount of utility power.

One of the reasons the Solar Chlor Max is relatively inexpensive is that it doesn't produce nearly as much chlorine as a typical SWG of more conventional design.

Not sure where you are coming up with your numbers, but as far as solar hot water is concerned it is way cheaper than conventional methods. ROI is usually within 2 years. Then it is usually just maintenance.

As for Photovoltaics, they are steadily decreasing in price. I just saw the other day that a 15KW system was down to around 30K. And you add the extra benefit of it working when the grid fails (energy independence)... How can you put a price on that? Especially in these perilous times we are facing.

Also, I would love to see the statistics you are using to come to the conclusion that the solarchlor max does not produce near as much chlorine as a regular SWG. I can tell you that there is a large amount flowing from the unit. Granted it does not work as well on cloudy days (but still does produce) and mine will work when the power goes out. Oh, and I do not NEED to run my pump (at additional costs) to produce chlorine. I personally feel that these advantages outweigh the disadvantages like having to add chlorine every once in a while (and a very small dose so far). So far I am pleased and the system is performing as I expect it to.

I do still need to get a TF test kit so I can dial in my process so I do not use too much chlorine.. Or perhaps I will find that I do not need any more than the solarchlor max generates.... I don't see that happening because mine will not work well when the sun is not shining so it stands to reason that I will be adding chemicals occasionally. :( I knew that going in though. :cool:

As for Photovoltaics, they are steadily decreasing in price. I just saw the other day that a 15KW system was down to around 30K. And you add the extra benefit of it working when the grid fails (energy independence)... How can you put a price on that?

Affirmative: a photo-voltaic system works if/when the grid fails ----- ONLY if the system has battery backup (yet more equipment/labor $$$$) :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.