Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trees

1. Back To Top    #1

Trees

Hi, just putting in a pool and am looking for some tall trees for privacy. Of course I would prefer they be trees that are not too messy.
    I will be using Blue Spruces and White Pines but looking for something other than evergreens. I am in Toronto, Ontario. Any suggestions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trees

Arborvites are nice. Green giant thygers
    Freeform gunite, 14,000 gallon saltwater sport pool.
    10 ton moss rock w/ waterfall, 50 sq ft raised spa.
    Bluestone coping, pebblesheen. Jandy pro flo 1 hp pump, legacy 325k heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I am also from the Toronto area (Burlington) and am also looking into this as well. My property line is fairly close to my neighbours and am looking for something that grows bout 20' and provides privacy.

Pool builder suggested a row of Ivory Silk Lilacs, but I'm afraid when they flower the petals will make a mess of the pool. Let me know what you decide on.
    11,340 gallons IG rectangular Vinyl pool, SWG
    Hayward Cartridge Filter.
    Hayward Tristar Pump.
    Pool built in June 2015

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a lilac bush now and they grow wide, they only provide privacy spring and summer then look stragilly off season with no privacy. Arborvites grow tall and thin and dtay green all year

5. Back To Top    #5

We have 2 old, huge white pines near our pool. The amount of pine needles they drop in and around the pool is staggering. I second the arbor vitae, we have these too around the pool, nice privacy, very little debris.

Tom
    In gound vinyl L, ~41,000 gallons, Pentair Clean and Clear Plus 420 cartridge filtter, Pentair 2 speed WhisperFlo pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Agreed on White Pine, I wouldnt use them, they grow into massive trees and drop an immense amount of needles.
    Cedar is a great choice, they can be trimmed to be kept small and they feep their foliage all the way up for better privacy.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

7. Back To Top    #7

If you are looking for deciduous trees, pin oaks tend to hang onto their leaves until well after pools are closed and they grow fairly quickly.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

8. Back To Top    #8

We are in Burlington, and just had our pool finished this spring. We put two Ornamental Pear trees in our yard. They are columnar trees, and will grow mostly upright, and don't spread too much (pruning can also help this). Our pool builder suggested these along with two nurseries we visited. They look great, and yes, you will have some flowering in the spring, but all of the flowers were picked up by the skimmer and we just had to empty the basket a bit more often for a week or two.

9. Back To Top    #9

Any palm tree pictures out there?!!

10. Back To Top    #10

The scourge of my pool area are 5 large American pines. The needles are absolutely horrible. I'll be looking to rid myself of this curse next season and continue to use Emerald Green Arborvitaes.
    Anthony Pool, 35k gal plaster, DE (1.5hp Ultraflow), Rainbow 320, Dolphin Diagnostic 2001 (Advantage) & Polaris, Retrofitted Anthony mod #20 120v Niche light with Pentair 5G & adapter ring, 70's build / recoped and plastered 1.5 years ago

11. Back To Top    #11

I dont know if they grow well in Canada but, I have pampas grass that grows about 12' tall and looks cool. Cedar trees and arborvitaes would be a good choice, pencil holly, Boston pear. Mixing it up with different plants looks good too.
    20,000 gal. 27' AGP
    Hayward 18" sand filter with 1 hp Hayward Matrix pump
    A convinced BBB user and TFP fan

12. Back To Top    #12

Any pictures to share anyone?

13. Back To Top    #13

A privacy tree here is Leyland Cypress. Evergreen, doesn't drop needles like long-needle pines and tops out at 30ish feet. I don't know if they will grow in Canada though.
    27' Round Might Sun AG Pool 18000 Gallon Intex Krystal Clear SWG Hayward Pump/Filter on a Timer

14. Back To Top    #14

Thanks for the advice. Based on this discussion and multiple discussions with a variety of nurseries we ended up using a mix of Pyramidal English Oak, Japanese Ivory Lilac, Pear trees and blue spruce. We'll see this fall how it all works...

15. Back To Top    #15

Another vote for Arborvitaes. Evergreen and a "clean" plant to have near a pool.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

16. Back To Top    #16

I have Arborvites around my pool and the only problem we have is birds in the Spring who use the bushes for their nests. These black birds called Grackles will take the poop from their babies and carry it away from the nest so predators don't find the nest. Unfortunately, they look for water to drop the doo doo in..... My husband got a Hawk kite and hangs that in the yard to try and keep the birds out of our yard. Here is a pic of our Arborvitie....
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Back To Top    #17

[attachment=0:s1qxfn0x]IMG_20130529_073308 (640x480).jpg[/attachment:s1qxfn0x]Here is another pic from a different view...........
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. Back To Top    #18

Very nice pool and tree line!! Thx for sharing