Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green and Cloudy with high chlorine. Pool Stored to death.

1. Back To Top    #1

Green and Cloudy with high chlorine. Pool Stored to death.

I wish I'd found this forum a couple of months ago. I have been reading and learning and will be trying out pool clearing and maintenance procedures I have been reading about. I will order a test kit and report full test data soon. Meanwhile, I'm fighting a monster in my back yard. I have had the pool for 13 years and never had trouble anywhere close to this year. The pool store is running out of things to try and nothing has worked so far, except the cash register taking money out of my account.

The pool store is a BioLab store so several times we have done extreme shocks with Calcium based shock. When algae kept coming back they said I had Chlorine Demand. It took about $500 of more shock and I still had no free chorine. Even when algae looks dead the water has not cleared up, keeping the milky/chalky look throughout the year.

Recent additions of stabilizer have brought levels in line and the FC has been running in the 7.5-8.0 range. Their analysis says 3.0-3.5 is normal. Even with high levels of chlorine the green just keeps coming back. The pool has been flocked twice with no result. I've used some liquid shock. I keep Smart Sticks in the skimmers and have added several quarts of algaecide.

I know you need me to get the water testing done and post results which I will do, but this has been a strange year so far with the pool not responding to usual clearing procedures. I'm totally pool stored and can't believe the look of my pool after all those chemicals. I appreciate this forum and I hope to conquer this backyard monster with your help. Thanks.
    30K gal, IG vinyl, Haywood Pump 1 1/2HP, Haywood S244T 20GPM 300# sand filter, 2 skimmers, Kreepy Krawley vacuum.
    Built 2000, new liner 2010, new sand 6/13.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Green and Cloudy with high chlorine. Pool Stored to dea

We hear this sort of thing all too often, chances are your CYA and possibly your CH are through the roof and will require substantial water replacement.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup, where are you located, how expensive is water for you? Your chlorine levels are really not that high, and most likely being made ineffective by high stabilizer levels. Sounds like you've already read a lot of info available here. Get the speed stir when you order the kit, it will make testing very easy and quick for you which is a much more pleasant experience....
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

4. Back To Top    #4

If you were using $500 worth of cal-hypo, your levels are most definately through the roof and it's probably why it looks so cloudy.

Hope you can get the test kit soon. It's a good one!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

5. Back To Top    #5

I ordered the test kit. That particular shock was 112 lbs of pre dissolve CLC. They said Calcium was at max and shock after that was a different product Smart Shock. I will get the water tested and get full results at the store prior to receiving my test kit. I also replace the sand in the filter. Any thoughts as to what should be used now to fight the green?
    30K gal, IG vinyl, Haywood Pump 1 1/2HP, Haywood S244T 20GPM 300# sand filter, 2 skimmers, Kreepy Krawley vacuum.

6. Back To Top    #6

Head over to Pool School. We will help, but there's too much information to post here. After you read through a couple times, post your questions.

The short answer is, you need bleach, but we can't tell you how much until we get a lot more info from you.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

7. Back To Top    #7

My test kit is shipping. I took water to the pool store and here are the results.

Temp - 82
    FC - 0
    CC - 0
    pH - 8.3
    TA - 166 Adj TA 136
    CH - 276
    CYA - 100

The pool has gone green again and is still cloudy. I'm going to the Pool School and will read the articles about clearing swampy water. I also plan to put these results in the pool calculator. Where do you recommend getting various chemicals to balance the water? I have bleach some other chemicals, but what is the best way to source items that I will need? Thanks again for your help.

8. Back To Top    #8

I get my bleach at Sam's or Walmart. The first thing for you to do is get your pH down to around 7.2 and do a couple of partial drain and refills to get CYA down. Then it's time for the shock process.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

9. Back To Top    #9

Muratic Acid to lower Ph? What do you use to raise Ph when needed? Also, CYA I don't need to increase mine at this time, but what product do you use to increase CYA? I also kept chlorine sticks in the skimmers. Do I continue to keep sticks in the skimmers? Or does the periodic application of bleach maintain the chlorine level as needed? I can buy a whole lot of bleach for what the sticks cost. Last thought is for Algaecide. Is an algaecide product needed in addition to the bleach, etc.? I know I may sound like a pool store customer, but I'm just trying to make sure I get this right. Very tired of looking at a green pool this year.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

amexpmh,

Welcome to the forum. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....it'll answer many of your questions and cause you to ask some more...we'll all help.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by amexpmh
    Muratic Acid to lower Ph? What do you use to raise Ph when needed? Also, CYA I don't need to increase mine at this time, but what product do you use to increase CYA? I also kept chlorine sticks in the skimmers. Do I continue to keep sticks in the skimmers? Or does the periodic application of bleach maintain the chlorine level as needed? I can buy a whole lot of bleach for what the sticks cost. Last thought is for Algaecide. Is an algaecide product needed in addition to the bleach, etc.? I know I may sound like a pool store customer, but I'm just trying to make sure I get this right. Very tired of looking at a green pool this year.
    Acid lowers ph. Soda Ash or Borax raises it. "Stabilizer" raises CYA. Don't use the sticks, they add even more CYA. Daily bleach maintains chlorine level - many of us haven't had to do the shock process in years and years, and my pool is clear enough to throw a quarter in the deep end and call heads or tails from the deck. You do not need algaecide.

Everything you asked is in Pool School, by the way. First thing you need to do is go right now to Amazon or http://tftestkits.net and order a Taylor K-2006 or a TF100 test kit. The TF100 is the better value, bigger bottles of stuff in it. Order the XL option since your pool is green. I'm serious - do it now. And stay out of the pool store!
    A little inspiration:
    pretty-black-pool-t58442.html
    first-time-pool-owner-t61565.html
    a-little-encouragement-for-those-with-algae-and-new-to-bbb-t57137.html
    frog-filled-green-swamp-to-oasis-work-in-progress-t48213-20.html be sure to look at page 2
    before-and-after-t36785.html
    a-final-picture-set-of-how-well-the-bbb-method-works-t33199.html
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

Answers in Red:
    Quote Originally Posted by amexpmh
    Muratic Acid to lower Ph? Yes What do you use to raise Ph when needed? borax or soda ash Also, CYA I don't need to increase mine at this time, but what product do you use to increase CYA? cyanuric acid aka stabilizer aka conditioner I also kept chlorine sticks in the skimmers. Do I continue to keep sticks in the skimmers? No. That is why your CYA is so high ... and we never recommend putting them in the skimmer Or does the periodic application of bleach maintain the chlorine level as needed? Yes. Bleach will provide ALL your chlorine when you add it on a daily basis I can buy a whole lot of bleach for what the sticks cost. Last thought is for Algaecide. Is an algaecide product needed in addition to the bleach, etc.? No algaecides are needed. Maintain adequate chlorine and you will not have algae I know I may sound like a pool store customer, but I'm just trying to make sure I get this right. Very tired of looking at a green pool this year.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

If you want awesome water, listen to these folks. Glad you ordered kit. It will prove the best money you have spent on your pool!
    17,500 gal. ABG Doughboy Pool
    1/2 HP Pump/150 sq.ft. Cartridge Filter
    TF100 Test Kit And Speedstir

14. Back To Top    #14

TF-100 kit arrived and I ran all the tests. Basic test the Ph was 7.8 and the Chlorine was off the chart (expected). The other test produced a FC of 21 and a TC level of 23.5. The TA tested 210. I had trouble with the CH test. After the first reagent my water was hot pink, not red. Then I added drops and swirled looking for it to turn blue. It went violet (purplish) but never blue. I stopped at 55 drops figuring I was wasting my chemicals. The pool store recorded it at 276 the day before. CYA was 90-95. This was my first run of the tests, any pointers are appreciated.

I am backflushing to remove some water and adding new water as I can. This will take several days to bring down the CYA level. Meanwhile I added bleach as prescribed to hit shock level according to the Pool Calculator. At this point the water is still green and not much different in appearance from the 0 Chlorine yesterday.

I will continue to test probably twice a day. I have some algaecide left, should I use it to help combat the algae? I realize once I get the water clear and in balance I will not need to add it anymore.

15. Back To Top    #15

No algaecide! It's better as a preventative than a fix.

The CH test can be done with a 10 ml sample with each drop counting as 25. Saves time, save reagent.
    extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html has more information on how to do that.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Just keep replacing water to get the CYA down and maintain the FC shock level as diligently as you can. Showing CC of 2.5 and green in the water certainly means that the shock process is needed.

Clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

17. Back To Top    #17

By this evening the FC has dropped to 11 and the CC 1. Ph was holding at 7.8. I added more acid to lower Ph again and added more bleach. I drained off more water and adding fresh. Repeat this again in the morning.

18. Back To Top    #18

The pH test is not valid when FC greater than 10ppm, do not adjust the pH in the middle of the shock process ... Although you were barely over 10 so the pH test was close.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

19. Back To Top    #19

What about cleaning. Should I try to vacuum up some of the growth or keep the water circulating while trying to kill the algae? I am brushing to keep algae from settling on the skimmers, light, etc.

20. Back To Top    #20

You can vacuum as much as you like. Either to waste or the filter. Just make sure to clean the filter when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast