Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ground cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Ground cover

Would 4 mil plastic sheeting work under an intex pool as ground cover. It is cheaper then getting a tarp big enough for my 24' intex?
    Intex 24' x 52" Ultra Frame
    Intex 2650 gph sand filter/pump
    Intex Salt Water Generator
    All PVC Plumbed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ground cover

We used 4mil black plastic under ours, but we did put down two layers of it, in addition to the blue intex tarp.

It's only been up for a month or so, so I can't speak for long term success. I guess it would depend on what sort of ground you are putting it on and how smooth or rough it is. Also if you have any grass species that will try to grow through it...
    16x36 IG vinyl with Hayward S244T Sand filter, 1.5HP Jacuzzi Magnum Force, Polaris 380 Cleaner with booster pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Well my 24' didnt come with a ground cover but my old one had it and It wasnt very thick. It worked fine that is why I was thinking the 4 mil plastic sheeting.
    All PVC Plumbed

4. Back To Top    #4

I didn't use the tarp and opted for 4x8 sheets of Styrofoam 1/2 thick. It gives a nice cushioning and insulates the pool from the colder ground temps.
    41x25x18 Humpback Haven
    Graduated from 16ft Intex

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm planning on using 6mil black plastic on the advice from someone else on this forum. Insulation foam will go on top of the plastic and then either the intex tarp or more plastic on top of that.
    --- Pool Status - Ice Cube
    18'x9'x52" Intex Rectangular Pool with Krystal Clear 2560gpm Sand Pump and Krystal Clear Salt Water System
    Hayward Skimmer with (2) 1 1/2" Hayward Returns
    16mil Klear Choice Solar Blanket

6. Back To Top    #6

I wish I could afford to use the insulation. Unfortunantly cashflow is kind of tight
    All PVC Plumbed

7. Back To Top    #7

I use an old pool bottom and a tarp under my Intex. This year I also put sand under the edge of the pool after it was set up and filled. Last year I got quite a few leaks in the pool and they were all on the floor near the wall of the pool. I think that pebbles can get knocked under the pool around the edges and the rocking of the pool wears small pin holes in the bottom of the liner. I used 4 50lb bags of sand and stuffed it all around the edge of the pool. We had 2" of rain the other night and the sand didn't get washed away.