New Owner needs help with stains

jjsmd

May 17, 2013
OK , I'm a new pool owner with zero experience.

Bought the house with a 12 year old gunite in ground pool about 15,000 gallons. Sand filter . I'm located in New York and pool has been maintained by a pool service so I really have not had much hands on experience but have been slowly learning from this site and eventually will take over .

Upon opening the pool this season and after cleaning out from the winter the pool has these stains at the bottom whch the pool service claima result of hurricane "sandy" and will have to be draianed and acid washed. I'm just tring to find out if this is the general consensus here as well.

The texture is smooth and I tried brushing it with a steel brush and it doesn't really come off at all.

I'm attacching some representative pictures here

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94 ... G_2807.jpg

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg94 ... G_2806.jpg

any suggestions as to how I ago about trying to figure this out and best way to proceed would be appreciated . Thanks

Joe

Do you know if they're organic or metals? If you don't know, take a trichlor puck and hold on a spot for a little while and see if it lightens. If it does, it's organic and raising the FC to the top of the recommended level and holding it there will lighten them. If it doesn't lighten it take some vitamin C tablets and crush them up and rub on the stain. If that lightens them they're metals and you can do an AA treatment to get rid of them.

OK
Thanks for your reply, The trichlor test didn't seem to do anything.

The vitamin C may have lightened it slightly . The stains are really more then just stains , they feel like sand stuck to the floor of the pool.

In the meantime I got the TF- Test kit and these are my initial test results.
cl 5-10 ppm
pH 7.5
Fc 4.5
cc 0.5
TC 5.0
TA 150
CH 350
CYA 65

Now what do I do?

Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.