new to pool maintenance

Jun 18, 2013
I am new to caring for my pool on my own and need some basic help. I have a 13x24 inground pool with an aggragate finish. I have a sta rite system 2 cartridge filter system (plm100) and a sta rite dura pump that is 1HP. My water is fine I have it tested locally and all seems to be running well but I have the following questions:

The labels on my valve (three way) are rubbed off so i don't know which way to turn it to backwash the filter or vacuum the pool. Currently it is perpendicular to the pump and its running normally 8 hours a day-I live in Florida

How do I know what the normal pressure should read on my filter to see if it needs to be cleaned? The pool was installed in 2004 and I know the cartridge was replaced in 2010

Any help will be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP!

Normal pressure is what it reads with new cartridges in it. It varies from pool to pool.

A cartridge filter doesn't backwash, and you normally vacuum on the same settings where you normally filter. Your valve may allow you to select from the main drain or the skimmer. Post a picture of the valve showing the pump and plumbing and somebody can probably decipher it.

Thank you for the reply and I looked again and the valve shows main drain on the right and I assume skimmer on the left. So when I want to drain the pool I put it on main drain and to vacuum it I put it on skimmer? I will post pic as soon as possible. Thanks.

srottkamp said:
Thank you for the reply and I looked again and the valve shows main drain on the right and I assume skimmer on the left. So when I want to drain the pool I put it on main drain and to vacuum it I put it on skimmer? I will post pic as soon as possible. Thanks.

Main drain is a misnomer. It's just a source of water for circulation, and it's usually a good idea to draw from both in case something gets sucked into your skimmer like a plastic bag that gets blown in the pool. The exact setting may depend on how much floating stuff ends up in your pool. Drawing a little more from the skimmer may improve the surface cleaning action, but drawing equally from both will probably maximize your circulation.

For vacuuming, assuming you are using the skimmer to connect your vacuum, you may want to adjust the valve so you get good suction without the head sticking to the bottom. If you use the skimmer to vacuum, use a skimmer plate so you can leave the basket in place. It's worth it to avoid a pipe clogged with leaves.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.