Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Drain Covers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Drain Covers?

I have 2 drains with ribs that tend to trap small acorns. My Aquabot will pull ones out that are "loose", but I have to swim down and pull 2 or 3 out at a time with a screwdriver to get them all (not fun after 4 or 5 dives). Does anyone make a snap-on drain cover with a finer mesh? My drain (with 3 or 4 acorns):
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48 PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Drain Covers?

Isn't there supposed to be a cover on that drain? Mine has one and it prevents things like the acorns you are showing. Looks like yours is missing
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

3. Back To Top    #3

No clue, that's why I'm asking. Bought 4 year old house/pool last year.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

4. Back To Top    #4

Did the pool and Aquabot both come with the house? Maybe the previous owner removed the covers so the Aquabot wouldn't get stuck on the bottom drain. Something to think about, if you add covers the Aquabot will get stuck. Then you will need 2 Polaris Unicovers to prevent this. Maybe the acorns aren't so bad. Or maybe just put the Polaris Unicover over what you have.
    17x37 IG vinyl, Grecian style, 20k gal, Hayward DE4800, Hayward Super Pump II 1 hp, Rainbow 320 Chlorinator, 6 Vortex 4x10 solar panels, Aquabot Turbo, Dolphin M5, loop-loc mesh cover

5. Back To Top    #5

I did a little digging, looks like this is a fairly typical drain cover (although appears to have a recall on it). Not recalled if there is more than 1 drain, I have 2. They are almost flush with the bottom with matching pebble finish, so I doubt there is another cover. My Aquabot is new and travels right over them. I'm sure almost anything I'd put over it would cause Aquabot problems. I was thinking more like a thin grid of some sort - just an .06" thick piece of plastic mesh that would snap over.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

6. Back To Top    #6

I was about to post back and say the same thing. I found it is a common drain design once I looked. (http://www.aqua-man.com/itemMatrix_all. ... Code=M5577). At first I thought it was odd with the exposed screws. Mine has screws under a snap on cover. I think your Aquabot is able to get over these drains because they are low profile. Adding something to them may or may not cause your Aquabot to get stuck. The Polaris Unicover would solve your acorn problem and not cause any Aquabot problems. It is an easy set on install but it is pricey. Also do a search on ebay for "pool main drain covers" for lots of options.