Liquidator may not work for me...

Katana

Mar 29, 2013
Well...I may end up removing the liquidator.

No matter what I try, I cant get the inlet to keep up with the outlet...so my flow maxes at about 3.5...which does not keep up with my chlrine demand (4ppm in full sun).

Inlet check valve is the issue. It's working, but just not allowing enough flow to keep up. When I pull supply line I get plently...but going from check vlave to LQ is much lower. I ensured the check vlave was working and even swapped with the other from the kit...no go.

So if I push the LQ outlet float down, I get plenty of flow...and if I let the LQ fill up a bit, it will max out...but eventually the flow level comes down and outlet throttles back flow.

Maybe a better check valve?

Is 4ppm on 17k pool rel;aistic with LQ?

Go to Stenner set up?

I found those check valves in another thread...and may order them.

My concern is the overall ability to keep up...is 4ppm on 17k realistic? At 3 to 3.5 on flow-meter yesterday, I still lost 3pmm...like the LQ wasnt even there. It may have curbed 1PPM...but I cant see getting to 4ppm based on these results.

Here is what happened:

I added chlorine the night before and filled LQ at about 7pm. Cl level was 8.4. Pump is running 6am-12pm, then from 2pm to 8 pm.
Tested in AM before pump start...Cl level 8.0.
Tested at lunch: 7.2
Bright sun in afternoon...tested at 5:20pm: 5.4ppm
Tested this AM: 5.6ppm

I can try pictures...but would need to find hosting site...but the setup is pretty standard.

Katana said:
So if I push the LQ outlet float down, I get plenty of flow...and if I let the LQ fill up a bit, it will max out...but eventually the flow level comes down and outlet throttles back flow.

Are you saying you get more flow out of the Liquidator when you push the outlet float down?

A 4 ppm loss per day is pretty high. The LQ is going to have to run pretty much maxed out to replace that much FC loss, but if everything is working right it should be able to.

What is your CYA level?

What is the inlet of the LQ hooked to?
What is your filter pressure?

You're having the opposite problem of most people. Most people have a hard time trying to get the LQ to suck the liquid out of it fast enough and you're having a problem getting enough flow into it.

JohnT said:
Katana said:

Are you saying you get more flow out of the Liquidator when you push the outlet float down?

No...when I lift it up. The outlet floats works on an increasing level.

Let me put it into the steps I see...

1) I turn off adjustment vlave and allow LQ to fill until LQ inlet closes
2) I open adjusntement valve and set flow leter to 4.
3) Flow decreases in LQ and inlet floast open flow...but doesnt keep up.
4) Eventually, the outlet float drops and decreases flow to about 3 on the flow meter
5) This is where flow/floats stabilize. Inlet float fully opne, outlet float throttled due to level not keepin up.

Bama Rambler said:
A 4 ppm loss per day is pretty high. The LQ is going to have to run pretty much maxed out to replace that much FC loss, but if everything is working right it should be able to.

What is your CYA level?

What is the inlet of the LQ hooked to?
What is your filter pressure?

You're having the opposite problem of most people. Most people have a hard time trying to get the LQ to suck the liquid out of it fast enough and you're having a problem getting enough flow into it.

CYA was 60...now 50 due to rain.

I have scratched my head on usage myself. I continue to pass the OCLT several times, water is very clear. I have debated shocking just becasue CL usage just don't seem right.

Filter pressure is 18 clean currently 19 or so. My pump and equipment are about 3-4 feet above pool level and about 8-10 feet away.

I used saddle valves and inlet is right before pumps suction. Outlet is after heater before split to pool/spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It seems odd you don't have enough pressure to maintain your tank with a 2HP pump. Try hooking directly from the filter outlet to the Liquidator without the check valve.

JohnT said:
It seems odd you don't have enough pressure to maintain your tank with a 2HP pump. Try hooking directly from the filter outlet to the Liquidator without the check valve.

...considered that but will lose pump prime when I turn off pump. Will suck air back through LQ and water will drain from my equipment back to pool

Isaac-1 said:
Could your chlorine be old, it does degrade with age, particularly if stored in a hot location.

Brand new Clorox...from Walmart. 8.25%

I have considered going to 12.5% liquid chlorine. Leslies sells it at 6$ a gallon...so I'd rather not pay that if I don't have too. I cant find it anywhere else locally.

More bad news...

With pump running, I removed the check vlave on the LQ inlet. Water stream was what I though to be very strong. Connected directly to LQ inlet and still could not keep up...flow went up to 5...but eventually dropped to 3.5. I even removed inlet float and just let water come right in...still no good.

I guess I have too much of a pressure drop across filter and heater???

Katana said:
More bad news...

With pump running, I removed the check vlave on the LQ inlet. Water stream was what I though to be very strong. Connected directly to LQ inlet and still could not keep up...flow went up to 5...but eventually dropped to 3.5. I even removed inlet float and just let water come right in...still no good.

I guess I have too much of a pressure drop across filter and heater???

Your pump height gives you strong suction for the outflow, so you are clearly limited by inflow. The inflow side of the Liquidator is driven by pressure from the lines from the filter to the pool. Where exactly is your inlet line tapped into the plumbing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.