Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New SWG owner needs advise

1. Back To Top    #1

New SWG owner needs advise

Today I bought 650 lbs. of salt 99.8%. All I have to do is dump all the salt in the pool, brush it around to help dissolve, wait a few days and turn the unit on? Am I missing something? I will test the chemicals with a Taylor 2005 kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New SWG owner needs advise

What's the salt level in the pool water now?
    It's almost never zero and often it's quite high. You should have it tested before you add any to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    What's the salt level in the pool water now?
    It's almost never zero and often it's quite high. You should have it tested before you add any to it.

We are switching from chlorine. Never had salt. Expect the unit to be installed on Saturday.

So do I dump all the salt in the pool. I have around 21K gallons

4. Back To Top    #4

You're not understanding. I've never put a drop of salt in my pool and my salt is 1600 ppm. I've always used bleach. All forms of chlorine add salt.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Bama Rambler is right. Test the salt level first and then adjust from that number. You might be shocked to find out there actually is already some salt in there. The salt strips are reasonably accurate and can be bought for about $10 at any pool store. (I can even find them sometimes at Menards.)

Even if you think you know how much salt you need, add a little less. You can always add more salt, but removing salt is a pain in the backside. (Trust me, I just recently had to do it when changing SWGs.) Since salt dissolves pretty quickly, you'll be able to retest in a 24-48 hours. Since the SWG isn't being installed until Saturday, you have time. (You're right to add it in advance of the SWG, though.)

When you do add it, then just dump it in and brush around. There's a thread somewhere about having the kids disperse it around with their hands. I haven't tried it but it sounds VERY cool.
    Central Indiana, 7200 gallon, IG fiberglass, L250 Jacuzzi sand filter, Hayward H150 gas heater, Pentair fiber optic light - installed '06. AOSmith 1.0hp pump, CPSC-24 SWG - installed '13. TF-100 Test Kit.

6. Back To Top    #6

OK I will get the test strips and test my salt level. Once I know that then do just dump the salt in?

7. Back To Top    #7

Once you know, yes, just dump around. We usually try to broadcast it out a bit and around. Be careful to keep it off of the concrete. (Or sweep it off the concrete when you're done.)

You can move it around with the brush attached to the pole or..... you could just jump in, enjoy the refreshing water and let your feet do all the work!
    Central Indiana, 7200 gallon, IG fiberglass, L250 Jacuzzi sand filter, Hayward H150 gas heater, Pentair fiber optic light - installed '06. AOSmith 1.0hp pump, CPSC-24 SWG - installed '13. TF-100 Test Kit.

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone

You people have been a great help