Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a little Direction for some cloudy water

1. Back To Top    #1

Just a little Direction for some cloudy water

OK opened my pool to a mess, Cover didn't make it.
    I think I have all the pine needles up. Water is a cloudy to a milky looking. I have been chlorinating, vacuuming and have had the filter running on high since Sat.
    Here are this morning readings.
    FC 7.0
    CC .5
    PH 7.2
    TA 120
    CYA 70

Any suggestions on clearing up my water?
    Thanks
    13500 Gallons
    Vinyl Liner
    Hayward E-200 Sand Filter
    Western NC in da Mountains

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Just a little Direction for some cloudy water

Keep filtering.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

read "How to Shock Your Pool" up in Pool School. Your FC is FAR too low to shock properly. Your FC should be up around 28 ppm and you should be holding it there with frequent additions of chlorine.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Looking again, your FC level should be at least to 20 with a CYA of 70 and green or murky water. Add enough liquid chlorine to get your FCC to 20 and keep it there as much as possible.

FYI... Spell check is a pain
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

So started my shock treatment last night around 10pm. Went out this morning @ 6am to test and I must of put to much bleach because my reading of FC was 34.5. Hope that will burn off since we are in full sun all day. I can see the bottom and there is still some junk there which I will get out in a few hours.
    Thanks so far!
    13500 Gallons
    Vinyl Liner

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Hope that will burn off since we are in full sun all day.
    Some of it will but be sure to replenish it right back up to 28 ppm when it gets down somewhere around 20 or so.

Test and dose carefully.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Hope that will burn off since we are in full sun all day.
    Some of it will but be sure to replenish it right back up to 28 ppm when it gets down somewhere around 20 or so.

Test and dose carefully.
    Thank just tested it a minute ago and we are at 20, so 2- 121 oz. bottles to get it back to 28. By the way has anyone noticed the amount in the bottles getting less and the price getting higher. LOL
    Thanks a ton folks!!!
    13500 Gallons
    Vinyl Liner

8. Back To Top    #8

Typically, the 121 oz bottle is a 8.25% bleach where the 196 ounce bottles were 6% bleach. Basically you are buying more chlorine per ounce.

So, you are buying less water.

Be sure you account for the strength difference in your calculations.

I just looked, using 121 oz of 8.5% produces a +9.8 FC on 13,500 gallons, 196 oz of 6% only moves it +7 FC.

Could this be part of your overshoot last night? IIRC, you were aiming for 28 FC and ended up at 34.5 FC?
    -- Guy --

9. Back To Top    #9

Wow, I never noticed! I will check as soon as I return home . Thanks!!
    13500 Gallons
    Vinyl Liner

10. Back To Top    #10

One thing I have learned here at TFP, read the "Active Ingredients" panel in EVERYTHING.

Doesn't matter what the front of the package says, read the fine print.
    -- Guy --

11. Back To Top    #11

You are right again! Yes I will from now on start reading ALL labels.
    13500 Gallons
    Vinyl Liner

12. Back To Top    #12

Brought up to 28 last night at 10:00pm. still there this morning at 7:00. I now can see the bottom and the few little pockets of pine needles. Hoping getting rid of these will clear things up a little faster.
    CYA still at 70, hoping for some sun here to lower this naturally but this year has been a tough one for warm weather and sun here in the mountains.
    13500 Gallons
    Vinyl Liner

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by 32Magnum
    Brought up to 28 last night at 10:00pm. still there this morning at 7:00. I now can see the bottom and the few little pockets of pine needles. Hoping getting rid of these will clear things up a little faster.
    CYA still at 70, hoping for some sun here to lower this naturally but this year has been a tough one for warm weather and sun here in the mountains.
    It will be okay where it is, meaning it won't do you any harm, you can swim up to your shock level. It's still cloudy a little i guess? Keep filtering! Maybe read and try this... pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    It will be okay where it is, meaning it won't do you any harm, you can swim up to your shock level. It's still cloudy a little i guess? Keep filtering! Maybe read and try this... pool-school/add_de_to_a_sand_filter
    Yes still a little cloudy. I had a whole lot of pine needles to get out.
    Glad you mentioned that about the filter, I have a two speed filter and 95% of the time it's on low and the pressure is about 6-7 psi, on high it's about 12 or so. I use high for vacuuming or when I have the auto vacuum hooked up.
    I had someone tell me a few yrs back that the filter will filter better on low then high. Is this true. I understand on high it moves a lot more water but is he right as far as filtering?
    I have some DE from my garden (organic) it should be the same stuff correct? I would like to do this!
    13500 Gallons
    Vinyl Liner

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by harleysilo
    Yes still a little cloudy. I had a whole lot of pine needles to get out.
    Glad you mentioned that about the filter, I have a two speed filter and 95% of the time it's on low and the pressure is about 6-7 psi, on high it's about 12 or so. I use high for vacuuming or when I have the auto vacuum hooked up.
    I had someone tell me a few yrs back that the filter will filter better on low then high. Is this true. I understand on high it moves a lot more water but is he right as far as filtering?
    I have some DE from my garden (organic) it should be the same stuff correct? I would like to do this!
    From the last line of that linked article "Gardening DE, while safer to handle, has not been heat treated and therefore is not suitable for use in pool filters."

I think i would keep it on high, the only way it would be ineffective is if stuff was slipping through your filter, which shouldn't be happening.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

16. Back To Top    #16

Your CYA is not going to change unless you take water out or rain overfills the pool. It is in your pool until you take it out.

This is why it is important to not get your CYA levels too high by using pucks or granules.
    -- Guy --

17. Back To Top    #17

OK water is now clear but not sparkling yet. Was able to get the rest of the junk off the bottom which seemed to help. One question though this morning I did some checking and the CYA is now 40, down from 70?
    FC is at 11.5, seems to hold chlorine pretty well.
    Unfortunately haven't been able to find any DE locally other then the one place who hits a grandslam with every sale. I may have to either cave in or take a road trip. Ugh!
    13500 Gallons
    Vinyl Liner

18. Back To Top    #18

OK water is now clear but not sparkling yet. Was able to get the rest of the junk off the bottom which seemed to help. One question though this morning I did some checking and the CYA is now 40, down from 70?
    Unfortunately haven't been able to find any DE locally other then the one place who hits a grandslam with every sale. I may have to either cave in or take a road trip. Ugh!
    It could be that the original water was so cloudy it skewed the first test.

Do you take a reading, pour it back and shake again, and take a few more? That's the way to test CYA.

Take a look at walmart, ace hardware, places like that, for DE.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    It could be that the original water was so cloudy it skewed the first test.
    Never thought of that so that could have been it.
    Do you take a reading, pour it back and shake again, and take a few more? That's the way to test CYA.

Yes I check it a few times.

Take a look at walmart, ace hardware, places like that, for DE.
    WallyWorld here don't carry it, Ace can get it but it takes 3-5 days. I am tomorrow doing a road trip about 35 miles, just called and it's about $28.00 for a 25 pound box.
    13500 Gallons
    Vinyl Liner

20. Back To Top    #20

Go for it!

DE doesn't go bad...but the paper bags can rot out and leave you with a mess! I'd store it in a plastic trash bag, sealed up. You now have a lifetime supply!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast