New fiberglass pool

Tomsaw

Jun 18, 2013
We are having a 16 x 40 Sun Fiberglass pool installed in our backyard. While the salesman was selling us the pool I told him that I wanted the pool to be parallel to the house .Before installation day I layed out the pool area where we wanted it to be and I stripped the topsoil off to save it .
The pool salesman / pool installer shows up and I show him where the pool is to go and to what height to finish it at . He and the track hoe operator lay out the dig . While digging the hole the operator tears out all of the stakes used for reference . The next day, 3 guys and a girl show up to put the framing ,gravel and sand in for the base . Here comes the pool. As they set the pool in the hole I thought to myself ,I better check to see if it is parallel . The pool where they were going set it was 2 feet out parallel in the length of the pool . As I look in the hole I can see that the pool framing is not centered in the hole . The salesman/installer says he can pivoting the pool on the sand base and fill the void under it by washing sand under it . While pivoting the pool I notice their sump pump pipe leaning way out of plumb . Since the pool was shifted ,that put it farther from where I wanted the shallow end to be and made the sump pump pipe out of plumb .UGH
A few days later when the pool was 3/4 full of water my son and I got in the pool to cool off. My son says , dad feel this , as he jumps up and down .there is a soft , hollow spot at the top of the ramp in the shallow end . All because the pool was not sitting on the sand base correctly to begin with .
The installers have tried to wash sand under it to support the pool. They filled the pool to about 3/4 full again but this time there is a low spot in the pool where there is no sand supporting the bottom of the pool . They drained a lot of water out and tried it again , same thing ,low spot .
So here I sit with a pool that is not right . I should have used my gut feeling and told them to pull the pool out of the hole and redo the gravel and sand .
Now what, pull the whole pool out of the hole ? This has not been a easy 2 weeks . Thanks for listening to my rant . Tom Averwater

If the void is under the bottom of the pool they're not likely going to be able to wash sand under it to fill it. I'm afraid that it's going to have to come out and be releveled and re-set. I wouldn't settle for a soft spot as it will only cause problems later.

It sticks out of the ground about 12" on the shallow end and 20" on the deep end so I could get natural drainage under it . The pool is back filled with a berm of sand and gravel around it . The crew showed up today and drained 3' of water out of it. I was not there to watch and see what they were doing (they might not of known what they doing either).
The soft spot and low spot are in the shallow end and going down the ramp to the deep end .The installer said he could raise it up with a garden hose pushing sand under it . I have tried to figure that out with a cubic yard of water weighing in at more than 1600 lbs. and a garden hose
Delivering maybe 25 - 30 lbs. of pressure.
My wife says she is about ready to dig it out and fill the hole in .
I have been a carpenter for 35 years and have yet to have an experience like this .

Well the installers were here again yesterday . I wasn't able to be there so I couldn't watch them . I'll get in the pool today to see if it is solid . They left the hose on last night , but I turned it off until I can make a judgement call . Last Saturday the installer called me asking about no water pressure . He had checked the hose bib in the front of the house , but only a trickle . There was a water main break up the street . The water came back on at 2:00 pm .. At 6:00am my b-inlaw turned off the hose bib in the front of the house . It ran for 16 hours without a hose on it . He was wondering why the sump pump was running every 2 minutes .

You are not going to like my post...they must stop this instant - drain the pool, lift it out of the ground and make DANG sure you have a 1000% compacted base. IF NOT you are in trouble.

Plus I would strongly suggest against sand in a fiberglass pool base/backfill, but that is another story.

As a guy who read up like crazy on pools and interviewed tons of builders...this needs to be fixed. Pushing a garden hose to try and get some sand to move around is only going to cause voids in other places. Even if it feels "hard" no way will you get a lifetime out of it. The ground water will shift around that loose sand faster than you can say where is my lawyer for a lawsuit!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have to say I agree with toofast.

Like many things, the devil is in the details. Properly setting the pool is about the most important part of a fiberglass installation. If something early in the process is botched, they will exert waaaaay more time, effort and energy in trying to "fix" it than they would if they pull the pool and start over. Plus, you would have the confidence that it was done correctly.

Additionally, sand is a horrible base for a fiberglass pool I believe most manufacturers (Leisure, Viking, etc) recommend some sort of compactable gravel for the base as well as back-fill. My installer did a terrific job of site prep and setting, and we are about 1/4" of level across the 40' length we have.

While it will be tough to get him to pull the pool, that is what I would suggest you get him to do.

The factory rep is coming next Wednesday to look at it . The pool is filling up now . I got in it this morning with no water in the shallow end and there still a soft spot and a low spot . I checked the top of the pool for level and there Is a 1" higher area on one side . Meanwhile I can't do anything .

Well....brace yourself, not doubt the factory rep and the installer show up, have a little discussion and declare "there's no real problem here, it's an easy fix" and concoct something to try and salvage things, "this is all normal" I'm sure they'll say.
Not trying to be upsetting, but like I said: document and take pictures in order to protect yourself.

Sounds to me like the pool needs to be lifted out and releveled, but human nature tells me they may rather try to save a few bucks and try something else. Sounds like the bottom was washed out of level, they may balk at renting a crane again but too bad for them.

I hope it all goes well for you!!

PS, I wonder if perhaps you shouldn't fill too high or walk around in it in the meantime, last think you want is a crack developing.

Sun pools is a very good company, I bought mine from them.

They said sand or gravel is ok, but preferred a 3-4" gravel base.

That's what I did and graded it like a flat a billiard table, tamped it down dropped the pool in checked level as it filled, no issues.

back filled with gravel 2.5' then sand.

All's well

Ask to speak to Curt at Sun, he's the owner, heck of a nice guy.

He said 1.5" was the difference in height around the pool that is industry standard ", but that they try for 1/4".
I was gone all day today but they worked at digging under it . I don't know what they accomplished .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.