WHAT DO I NEED??

Jun 18, 2013
Hello, I'm new here. My family is going to put an offer to purchase a home tomorrow & we're pretty confident we'll get it. The home has a pool with an attached spa. My husband said i have to figure out with the up keep and not hire a pool cleaning service. I don't know exact specs of the pool yet, only that it was built in 1980 & it's super clean now. I need to know what equipment, tests & chemicals I need to keep the pool clear & not funk up after a week after moving in. Thanks for helping!!

Knowledge is the first thing you need. With it, you are armed and ready to take proper care of your pool so that it will be safe and and enjoyable for everyone. The knowledge will also keep it from being a burden and frustrating mess that so many people deal with. I cannot encourage you strongly enough to read, and re read Pool School. Pool stores rely on uneducated buyers and often give extremely bad advice costing families hundreds and hundreds of dollars only to leave them in or near the bad shape they were in to start with.

Lastly, but of most importance is the purchase of a good test kit once you close on the house, or know you are going too. Learn how to use it, learn what the numbers mean, and how to adjust them. You can find all that info here, and the people willing to help you with it. We love helping people learn how to take care of their pools properly.

Welcome to TRF!

Welcome, good luck on the house, and basically what he said,read pool school s couple of times (link in the upper right of this page) Once you get through it and have some questions ask away and we will be glad to try to help.

Ike

TEST KIT!!!!!!!!!! Look at my siggy for the link. Go ahead and order it once you know your offer is signed. It takes about a week to get to you.

Go ahead and look around at your local stores for who has the best price in bleach/chlorine. For me it is the local ACE Hardware. For some it is the walmart bleach.

Read pool school and read it again. It can be overwhelming but SO worth it!

Pics of your new pool!

Kim

As you anxiously await for the new house, read read read read pool school. You'll think you've read it all but you'll constantly find things that you hadn't noticed before. Read about other people's problems so you'll be on the lookout for those.

I bought the TF-100 kit and was overwhelmed when it first arrived. The first testing(s) will take you a long time. But after you get used to it, you'll be able to do the whole series of testings in a few minutes.

For the first week or two, test everything every day. This is the only way that you'll get to know your pool and what's normal. After you get to know your pool and can accurately predict the test results, you can back down the testing of much of that stuff to only once a week. (Still testing pH and chlorine every day, of course.)

Pay attention to the pool. Never ignore it. Your pool will reflect the amount of loving care that you give it. Don't wait for problems to become big issues before finding the solution. If you think something is "off", it's probably is.

Don't blindly listen to what the pool stores tell you. (Trust me on this: I've graduated from the school of Pool Store hard knocks.)

Everything you need to know lies within this one handy-dandy website.

Thanks so much everyone. You all are too kind. Ive already read pool school once. I figured I'd better print it out to keep it handy. Another question I forgot to mention is, how do I find out what pump and heater we have, how many gallon pool etc?

Take some good clear photos of the pump, heater and filter. Take some back far enough to see everything and others up close of all the labels and valves and someone here can help you learn what you are buying and how it is all configured. A shot of the pool, inside the skimmer bodies, and pump house may be helpful also.

Some people here know what everything is within seconds of seeing a good photo.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.