Got my first Quote in Western MA, thoughts???

Carnut12

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2013
Forsyth, GA
I got my first quote, I live in Western MA. I plan to get 2-3 more PB's out here. I will say my wife and I really liked the PB, he had some great ideas and was not pushy at all.

20X44 Roman Imperial Matrix Polymer with choice of any 28 mil liner- $22,000
Starite S8M150 450 Sq Ft Filter
Starite IntelliPro VS Pump
Electrical Allowance- $2100
Timer- $175
Custom Lined Steps, Poured full concrete- $2400 (This is the Roman End he is making a bigger curve and pouring steps the width of the Roman opening if that makes sense) He is also making the Deep Side Match the bigger curve.
IntelliBrite 5G light- $1250, I asked about having 2 and he did not feel it was needed, but said that was up to me.
Starite Max-E-Therm SR400 Natural Gas- $2800
GLI Mesh Safety Cover- $2200
Cantilever Edge- $1800
Salt Water Chlorine Generator- $1800
Stamped Coping Border- $3400
Tax- $500

Total- $38,325

Thinking about a Latham 92" Scalloped Spill Over Spa. For this he would Pour a Concrete base to set the spa in and raise it about 18" and the price includes Cultured Stone, Coping for the Top, as well as a IntelliBrite Spa Light- $14,000

Total Quote- $52,325

Additional Stamped Concrete put in with Rebar- $11 Sq Ft
Additional regular Concrete- $6.75 Sq Ft

That looks quite good. The prices are reasonable especially considering how large it is and it includes a good size filter (which is rare and great). Usually I see something obviously wrong with a quote, but this one look fairly good.

If you do go with the spa, you will probably want an automation system, which will probably be extra.

Remember that the most important thing is getting references. Good recommendations are much more important than anything else.

JasonLion said:
That looks quite good. The prices are reasonable especially considering how large it is and it includes a good size filter (which is rare and great). Usually I see something obviously wrong with a quote, but this one look fairly good.

If you do go with the spa, you will probably want an automation system, which will probably be extra.

Remember that the most important thing is getting references. Good recommendations are much more important than anything else.

Thank you I would absolutely get references, this PB actually built a pool in my neighborhood so there is one for sure.

I did as much homework as I could on this Forum and because of this had a much better understanding of all his choices. Unlike many other PB's I visited he did not push anything, just told me what he would use if it was his pool. Other places told me to get a Heat Pump, not a NG Heater, they did not even ask how I would use the Heater. He asked many qualifying questions and then told me what he would use and why. I liked that he followed up a few days after our visit to see if I read over all the Brochures he provided, he wanted to know if there were any other questions I had. Again he was not pushy at all, just a follow up.

That does sound like a good price for such a large poly walled pool.
Electrical seems about right. You might want spend more though if you want to add any lighting around the pool.
Pool light is a little on the high side. I would think $800-1000 for a LED color light installed.
Gas heater, does that include running the gas line to the pool? If so its a good deal, if not a bit high.
Safety cover seems a bit high. You can purchase one online for much much less.
SWG seems right on.
Your decking pricing seems high. Cantilever edge sounds about right for the throw away molds they have to use. But another $3400 to stamp a border? My decking guy will stamp a coping border and an outer border for another $2000 on a 900sq ft deck. And he's a premium installer too, not the cheapest guy.

The Heater does not include the Gas line.

I need to ask questions on the Coping/Border, I do not fully understand the 2 charges. Based on what I recall the $1800 was just to have Cantilever Edges then the $3400 was for the Coping? I am not sure, I certainly would not pay $3400 to stamp my coping, I would rather it not be stamped. I will find out.

Safety Cover includes the installation, I know it is not that hard to do, but just a consideration. I will negotiate.

I have not negotiated at all, if I did go with this PB I would work a Package deal, he is capable of doing all of the work besides the fence, but I already have a fence guy anyway.

Thank you for the replies!!!!!

The next PB comes Thursday, they use Imperial also, but they Use Steel, not polymer. They already told me they will not be the lowest price. It will be interesting to see what equipment they recommend and prices for each.

One LED on a 20x44 pool would leave me wishing I'd installed two, unless maybe your surface is white. Ours is 18x38 with two LED's and its fine. Though in a perfect world, I'd have a a third, maybe small spa light, in between them to give light to the pool bottom on the light side of the pool. One non-LED light would be brighter and no problem.

But the LED's are fantastic to look at!!! Love them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.