Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CYA test with Taylor K-2006

1. Back To Top    #1

CYA test with Taylor K-2006

I bought the Taylor K-2006 test kit and am loving it. Great kit!

My only problem is with the CYA test. I have a **** of a time being certain of my accuracy with the CYA black dot test. Any tips out there? Should I be reading the CYA level once the black dot first completely disappears from view? In other words, when I am first not able to see it whatsoever.

I have to say I hate the black dot. It leaves too much up to interpretation.
    15K gal, IG plaster, screened, Marathon Electric 1 HP single speed pump, Hayward c-900 cartridge, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: CYA test with Taylor K-2006

Take a reading, pour it back in the mixing bottle, shake it up, and try again.

[center:28xjd0ez][youtube:28xjd0ez]NxaqoW-_MCs[/youtube:28xjd0ez][/center:28xjd0ez]
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Continue pouring until all traces of the black dot at the bottom of the view tube completely disappear, even after you stare at it for several seconds, or you fill the view tube.
    It does only go in increments of 10 so absolute accuracy isn't quite necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by doglover78
    Any tips out there?
    I ended up doing it a little differently, looking from the side I fill the sample to the first line then go from above and look. Then keep filling to the next line until I go to look and don't see it. I found keeping my head over top of it was playing eye games and dealing with the reflection of my head was ******* me off.

Don't know if that's good or bad, its just what I decided I liked doing better.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

4. Back To Top    #4

You could order some 50 ppm standard solution and test with it until you get your testing method perfected. I have it and used it so I could tell exactly what I was looking for.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You'd think someone could come up with some sort of color changing test. Lighting seems to make a big difference! Make sure the sun isn't shining on the tube. I can make the dot disappear with sun at my back, but let a little sun in and it reappears and takes another "10" to disappear again. +/-10 is probably good enough, but be nice to get a +/-1 reading.
    IG pebble, 15,000 gallon
    48” PentAir DE Filter with backwash valve
    PentAir Whisperflo pump with 1hp 2-speed motor
    Aquabot 4WD, Poolskim
    Intermatic Dual Timeclock with freezeguard
    DIY chlorine feed
    BBB

6. Back To Top    #6

What I find funny about the video is it says make sure the sun is to your back, but the guys is facing the sun while doing the test in the video.
    20,000 gal, In-Ground (built in 2007)
    Vinyl lining / 1HP Hayward SuperPump / Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter / Hayward Gas Heater / Liquid Chlorine,Bleach (4 Gallon Liquidator)
    Dohney Discovery Robot
    Testing Method: TFTestkits/TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by jgofnj
    What I find funny about the video is it says make sure the sun is to your back, but the guys is facing the sun while doing the test in the video.
    I noticed this too. Quite puzzling that the maker didn't mind that little detail.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

8. Back To Top    #8

Could someone make their own 50ppm test with distilled water and CYA granules so we could verify our testing methods? I know it's sold for $8.50, but many of us here have CYA and distilled water on hand. Even if we had to add 1/8 teaspoon to a 5 gal bucket, then use a dropper for the test, it would be way cheaper/faster than ordering the pre-made 50 ppm solution. Any chemistry wizards know how much granulated CYA would have to be added to a 1 gal carton of distilled water to get 50 ppm?
    18' round Intex Ultra-Frame pool, 48" deep. Default "A" size filter with 1500 gph pump, w/2nd 780 gph pump. Softened well water used for fill.

9. Back To Top    #9

I think I found it per this site:
    http://www.unitconversion.org/concentra ... rsion.html

Based on 1 gallon = 3.78541 Liters
    0.1891 grams per 3.78541 Liter = 50.012022343 ppm

That should be close enough for government work. Now, how to measure .1891 grams of granulated CYA?
    18' round Intex Ultra-Frame pool, 48" deep. Default "A" size filter with 1500 gph pump, w/2nd 780 gph pump. Softened well water used for fill.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by 357

That should be close enough for government work. Now, how to measure .1891 grams of granulated CYA?

Your handle begs the question for me....are you a re-loader? I would think if you were, your powder scale would have been foremost in your thoughts. I have one and that's how I would do it. Do you have a friend that re-loads, or someone else that's a Jeweler or into Jewels/precious metals? If so they may have a scale that would do.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Brushpup
    Quote Originally Posted by 357

Your handle begs the question for me....are you a re-loader? I would think if you were, your powder scale would have been foremost in your thoughts. I have one and that's how I would do it. Do you have a friend that re-loads, or someone else that's a Jeweler or into Jewels/precious metals? If so they may have a scale that would do.
    Brilliant idea. I don't reload. I've been looking into it as I can't get ammo in my neck of the woods. I've had some on backorder for months now. I'll have to ask my friends who reload if they could hit that specific of a mark. Thanks for the idea!

12. Back To Top    #12

The precision required to achieve a useful CYA reference solution really calls for specialized lab equipment and lab grade chemicals.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

13. Back To Top    #13

0.1891 grams of CYA needed per gal of distilled water to get 50 ppm.

Per: http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_all.htm, 1 grain = 0.06479891 grams

0.1891 grams / 0.06479891 = 2.918258964541225 grains

Most of the reloading scales I've seen online are claim accuracy within 0.1 grains. So in theory you could add 2.9 grains of CYA to a 1 gal jug of distilled water to make the 50 ppm test solution but as JasonLion indicated, your results would only be as accurate as your CYA measturements, tools (scale), and jug fill(accuracy to 1 gal) are combined. That's quite a few variables

If accurate, 2.9 grains would equal 0.187916839 grams.

0.187916839 grams /3.78541 Liters = 49.69910709 ppm

14. Back To Top    #14

"Take a reading, pour it back in the mixing bottle, shake it up, and try again."

I use the K2006 too and this is what I do. I do it 3 times, using the same solution... 2 out of 3 wins!

~Erin
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg