Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Salt test strips vs. SWG reading

1. Back To Top    #1

South Florida

Salt test strips vs. SWG reading

Are salt test strips really worth it when my Hayward SwimPure/AquaRite is taking a measurement of the salt content for me? Does anyone know how much more accurate? Does the AquaRite seem to read higher or lower?
    15K gal, IG plaster, screened, Marathon Electric 1 HP single speed pump, Hayward c-900 cartridge, Hayward SwimPure 40K SWG

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Salt test strips vs. SWG reading

It depends. It is always good to have an independant test. One sign of a failing cell is if the SWG starts reading a salt level well below the actual salt level.

I think the drop based K-1766 kit is more accurate than the strips.

FYI, I installed a new SWG yesterday and it is reporting salt at 2600ppm while I am testing 3200ppm (and a pool store got the same thing). So, it seems that mine is reading a little low ... hopefully this difference is within the accuracy to the 2 testing methods and there is not a problem. I am likely to just add a few more bags of salt to make the SWG happy.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Salt test strips vs. SWG reading

The better salt tests and most SWG salt meters are +-400.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School