First REAL Test

Jun 12, 2013
Orlando, FL
Got my TF-100 kit today...been playing ever since I got off work.

Here are the results:

FC: 1.0
CC: 0.0
pH: 7.5
TA: 330*
CYA: 20**
CH: 180

*TA - The first time I ran the test, I squeezed the R-0009, and it came out as a fine mist! There was no way to count drops. It eventually became drops, but they are significantly smaller than the drops from all the other bottles. I put in a drop, wiped the dropper, drop, wipe, etc. and I finally got an insane number of 640! And that doesn't include the fine mist in the beginning. Tried the test again and came up with 330. I still think my drops of R-0009 are too small - they are definitely smaller than all the other droppers.

And this is well water - would that affect TA? So maybe it is that high?

**CYA - I put in approx 4 lbs of stablizer Wed 12 Jun (5 days ago). I thought my filter was ready to clean on Saturday (due to psi) so I cleaned it...forgot about leaving it for 1 week for the CYA to soak in. And it still hasn't been a full week for the CYA to fully dissolve.

Proposed Plan of Action:
I'm thinking, retest CYA in a day or two. Add less than a gallon of 6% bleach to get it to 3.5. Retest TA or lower pH and aerate.

Suggestions? Feedback?

Thanks again,

Nic

I noticed a similar thing with the new TA reagents (although no mist, just smaller drops). That is the static, it will go away eventually and the drops will be similar to the size of the others. So, at first your TA may test a little higher than reality, but this is not really critical ... just keep the pH in the recommended range.

How did you add the CYA to the pool? That 4 pounds should have got you around 30ppm.

Have you seen this?
extended-test-kit-directions-t25081.html

I would wipe the tip of the TA tests again and try to retest one more time. 330 sounds wayyyy high. As for the CYA test, I would stick with 30 as your number to run with. I'd retest in another week before adding any more stabilizer. If it looks like you're losing most of the chlorine during the day that will be a red flag that maybe you've still got low CYA levels.

What does the water look like??

My TA is about 320-340 out of the tap, depending on the day... so it definitely CAN happen.

I get the same results testing with both my Taylor kit and my API Aquarium KH test, and it's been this way for as long as I've been testing my water (a few years). I actually use remineralized RO water for my freshwater aquariums, straight tap water was too frustrating to deal with not only because of the high TA but also the legal limit of both chlorine and chloramines, which convert to high amounts of nitrates which are also not great.

[center:1s6d6duk]And here he is...

Mad_scientist.gif
[/center:1s6d6duk]

Seriously Richard! That's exactly how I felt!

Added the cya using the sock in front of the return method. I was expecting 30-40 myself. I did rinse the filter too soon and tested too soon (less than a week).

Leebo - water is crystal clear!

Ahhhh

If you added it via a sock then once its in the pool it's working. Only reason not to backflush is if you add it to the skimmer itself. Give it a day and go with that number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.