Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Water questions

1. Back To Top    #1

New Water questions

Hi everyone!

We just re-filled and am taking tests for the 1st time. Here are the results:

FC: .5
    CC: 0
    PH: 7.5
    TA: 120
    CYA: 0

Now, I know I need CYA (the pool is covered all day, every day w/ an automatic cover). I clearly need Chlorine as well. I will not be able to get CYA into the pool until tomorrow afternoon.

Question is do I add bleach now? It is kind of hard to figure out what my goal is with 0 CYA using the pool calculator.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
    Inground 23K Concrete (16x30), Pentair Intelliflo VS, Hayward Pro Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Water questions

Yes, try to keep the FC around 1-2ppm until you add about 30ppm of CYA ... then you will want to keep it above 2ppm at all times.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks!

This may sound stupid, but how do I know if I have to shock it? I am a tad overwhelmed and I know I read the answer somewhere, but now I can't find it.

4. Back To Top    #4

If it is cloudy, or you have high CC, or you see algae.

Being that it is a new fill, if you keep the FC at the recommended levels, you should not need to go through the shock PROCESS.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Awesome! Thanks.

Of course, now I think we have a leak. Ug. I will deal with that tomorrow.... there is not enough wine for that on a Monday.

Thanks again
    M

6. Back To Top    #6

Let me repeat what jblizzle said, with just a subtle correction.

Being that it is a new fill, if you keep the FC at the recommended levels, you should not need to go through the shock process EVER. Never, ever.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

+1 what Richard said.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Really....well that is excellent news! I just sent my husband out w/ 12oz of 12%, which according to the pool calculator should get me to the right level. I will add CYA after work tomorrow. The pool guys left us all of this liquid chlorine, so I figure I will use that 1st.

Now, I am going to research leaks. My husband thinks it may be the pipes, which does not sound good at all.

Nothing is ever simple, it seems.

This site is really great. It has really helped me a ton & your responses are really appreciated. Thanks!!!

9. Back To Top    #9

Make that 37oz of 12%. Typo...