Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Robotic Cleaners & Running Pool Pump/Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Robotic Cleaners & Running Pool Pump/Filter

Quick question. Sure, running my robot cleans my pool but does it cut down the time I should run my pump and or sand filter?
    Regarless of my robot do I still need to run my pool pump to keep the water and chemicals moving?
    This question came to mind because I recalled the robot advertisments claiming that they use less energy than the pool pump and filter.
    Thanks in advance for any opinions.
    IGVP 20X40 30,000
    Hayward 1.5gpm Superpump
    Blue Pearl Robotic Cleaner
    Dad, can we go in yet?

2. Back To Top    #2
    If you run the robot you can deduct the time the robot is running from your pump run time (unless you have a SWG) . Most people don't run their robots enough to bother trying to keep track of that. Also, the robots are not designed for daily use.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    If you run the robot you can deduct the time the robot is running from your pump run time (unless you have a SWG) . Most people don't run their robots enough to bother trying to keep track of that. Also, the robots are not designed for daily use.
    JasonLion,

How often should I run my robot? I guessing that it depends to a certain extent of the junk I have falling in my pool, but what's average? I had been running it every other day....I am guessing that's way to often?
    Thanks again....first year newbie ...
    IGVP 20X40 30,000
    Hayward 1.5gpm Superpump
    Blue Pearl Robotic Cleaner
    Dad, can we go in yet?

4. Back To Top    #4

If you run the robot you can deduct the time the robot is running from your pump run time (unless you have a SWG) .
    Jason, can you tell me why that is? I have a SWG and I've never thought about it...
    and, should I have the SWG set to produce chlorine while the robot is running? Or should I set it to 0% while running the vac.?
    thanks
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

5. Back To Top    #5
    Typically one might run a pool robot once a week, but it would be more if you are cleaning up in the spring or having other problems. You run the cleaner at the same times you would do manual vacuuming. They can be run more frequently, but won't last as long if you do that. Their design lifetime is based on use about once a week.

The reason I mentioned the SWG exception is that the SWG percentage setting is based on your current pump run time. If you start varying the pump run time based on the robot run time you would need to adjust the SWG percentage to compensate. If you followed all that, then go ahead and try it if you want, but most people don't want to be bothered with that level of detail.

There is no need to turn off the SWG when running the robot.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School