Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are my levels okay?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are my levels okay?

I started using this forum last year when I thought I had a mustard algae problem. Turns out after bleaching my liner to a perfect baby blue, I have a filter issue...Oh well. I'm trying to really understand the pool levels. They are currently...

PH: 7.8
    FC: 4.5
    CC: .5
    TC: 5
    TA: 160
    CH: 160
    CYA: 30

I had to add last night 308 oz of 6% bleach to finally get my chlorine levels up. I understand the CYA and Chlorine chart - and I know they are a little high right now. I'm having a hard time making sure (and understanding) what the TA and CH should be. On the recommended levels for TA it states 70-90+ and on the CH is states 50-300. Can someone tell me if the TA and CH is okay?
    15 x 25 AG (11,200 Gal)
    1-1/2 HP Pump
    8 Year

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Are my levels okay?

The TA will tend to push the pH up quickly, but if you keep lowering it with acid, it will eventually settle down. I wouldn't consider the TA alarmingly high, so there's no rush to lower it. And it's not harmful - you've been drinking from the same water source.

Low CH is no problem in a vinyl pool.

Assuming the temperature is good, go swimming and stop worrying.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!