Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: hayward 1hp

1. Back To Top    #1

hayward 1hp

I was given a Hayward power flo 1hp pump and a Hayward variflow valve sand filter from a friend who took down his pool. I have a ultra frame intex 18x48 with intex swg. Is it ok to upgrade from the pump which came with the pool to this Hayward If so should I run the sand filter along with the SWG? Thanks!
    John Rogers
    24 foot above ground, 13500 gallon, Hayward Power-Flo LX (70 GPM) with 1.5 HP Motor, 18 inch Pentair Sand Filter , Chlorine

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: hayward 1hp

I am not the expert here but with a few fitting changes and the addition of a skimmer, you should be good to go. I think I have heard of people using the Hayward sand filter with the Intex salt system. I am confident it will work better than the existing Intex filter.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

ok. I have a little hang over style bucket skimmer which came with the intex. This is connected to the current pump. Not sure if this would be sufficient or not?
    John Rogers
    24 foot above ground, 13500 gallon, Hayward Power-Flo LX (70 GPM) with 1.5 HP Motor, 18 inch Pentair Sand Filter , Chlorine

4. Back To Top    #4

The biggest issue with Intex to "standard above ground" is the hose fittings. Intex hoses and fitting only work with Intex products. Also, the over the wall skimmer may not support the increased flow. Do some poking around this site and look at "intex Conversions".

You can buy a nice "through the wall" skimmer body and return fitting kit for about $30 on Amazon, a couple standard above ground hoses (~$10 each) from the pool store (or possibly WalMart). I know you think it's a lot but the convenience and the power of the Hayward pump/filter means you could use a standard suction pool vacuum and an end to Intex filters (assuming you are using them).
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100