Hey guys, here's a question I haven't seen anything on. I recently noticed pretty big Cl consumption to the tune of 4 parts/24 hrs. In the hottest parts of last summer, I used 2, so this made me do the OCLT ... I lost 1ppm. This was Saturday to Sunday, from about 8 to 7 ppm. So, while my water is crystal clear and I have 0 CC, and even though 1 is supposed to b e OK, I decided I'll just go through the shocking process, just in case. I had let it drop below the minimum number about 2 or 3 times this year, so I thought it made sense that something would grow. So what the hey, I thought let's shock it and it'll be done in 24 hours. Nope...
For the record, here is my full set of results before the shocking.
FC - trying to keep it between 5-9
CC - 0
pH - 7.8 (added some acid before shocking, not much).
TA - 70
CH - 350
CYA - 40-50 (really hard to read as you know)
So then I started to shock yesterday early... put a little too much and ended up at FC 27. So then this happened:
Sunday, 11am - FC 27
Sunday, 9pm - FC 21
Monday, 6am - FC 16
This is much bigger consumption than I would have anticpated. It wasn't even sunny out yesterday. It did rain about a half inch each during the day and then again overnight. What confuses me is that the overnight loss is so huge. How did I go from losing 1 the night before to losing 5?
So today, I brought it all back up to shock levels and kept it there all day. In the afternoon, I finally had time to get to the baskets and the filter. I noticed a pretty big amount of ants on the pool surface, and also in the filter. I've seen those before after rains. Not sure if they get washed in off the screen or what... they are NOT on the patio, so I've always been confused by them. Can they have anything to do with Cl consumption?
Also, I noticed what looked like worms or maggots in my filter. Never had those before. Never seen them in the pool.
Where could these insects be coming from? Can they live in the pipes or behind the tiles or whatever (to ask a really dumb question, I'm sure)?
Can these insects have anything to do my consumption? I somehow don't think I have algae but who knows.
Thanks for any thoughts. This is stumping me.
One more question - do I have to use more powder when testing with large FC numbers? Or anything else that could lead to bad results maybe?