Liquid Chlorine
I am still learning this.

ph 7.2
alk 230
fc 0.2
cc 0.6
ch 230
cya 80

These were my test results now. I have done nothing except shock last night with 400 oz of 10% bleach. I will work on getting my cya down further, but for now I am tickled to have the 1st free chlorine reading of the year. I bought muratic acid to work on the high alk. Should I add acid then shock? How long in between.

Forget the TA ... that is the lowest priority.

You need to keep following the shock process to eliminate the CC. Either replace water now to lower the CYA or you need to be targeting and maintaining a FC of 21-31ppm.

Oh and start using 10ml water sample for the FAS-DPD test ... no need for the 0.2 accuracy.

The pool water looks great, crystal clear. I shocked last night with 400oz, and again this evening. I get up at 4 am leave for work at 5am and get home around 4pm. Should I be testing in the morning also vs just checking every evening. Glad to know I don't need to worry about the high alkalinity. I intend to lower the cya even further, but for now I will try alot backwashing and refill.

The more often you test and adjust the better. You should test and adjust when you get home, before you go to bed and then again in the morning if that is all you have time for. In fact the before bed and the morning tests could qualify for the OCLT and give you a feel for you progress.

4am this morning my FC was 6.5, CC 0.5, ph was 7.4 I shocked
4pm my FC was 13.0, CC 0.5 or less, PH 7.2
I used the 10ml sample and the color barely changed, Should I shock again tonight just to be safe or am I good
Since I am new at this and just learning should I anticipate a 2 ppm decrease per day? Should I adust the FC to 9 or 10(range 7-12) every morning or evening or does it matter. Thanks to everyone who has helped me, I was overwhelmed the 1st couple of days with all the testing and trying to make since of it. I think I am catching on, slowly but catching on.

ok, pool water crystal clear. CC is 0.5 or less. So all that is left is to take a reading at dark, another in the morning before daylight, and as long as the FC doesn't change more than 1 ppm I am done shocking.

tarab said:
ok, pool water crystal clear. CC is 0.5 or less. So all that is left is to take a reading at dark, another in the morning before daylight, and as long as the FC doesn't change more than 1 ppm I am done shocking.
Yep.

So if it passed before you leave for work, you don't need to add any bleach that morning and can spend all day long thinking about jumping in that money pit as soon as you get home.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well darn... Last night at 10 pm FC was 11.5 . At 4 am FC was 10. So I lost 1.5 ppm. Will raise to shock level again. I ran filter all night long(does this matter on overnite test). CC is still 0.5 or less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.