Test results after partial refill

I am still learning this.

ph 7.2
    alk 230
    fc 0.2
    cc 0.6
    ch 230
    cya 80

These were my test results now. I have done nothing except shock last night with 400 oz of 10% bleach. I will work on getting my cya down further, but for now I am tickled to have the 1st free chlorine reading of the year. I bought muratic acid to work on the high alk. Should I add acid then shock? How long in between.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Test results after partial refill

oopps. I have 15300 gal. ag pool sand filter

3. Back To Top    #3

No - the pH is good. Go after that .6 CC by continuing the shock process. Don't lose any ground. Keep hammering at it.

What does the water look like?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Forget the TA ... that is the lowest priority.

You need to keep following the shock process to eliminate the CC. Either replace water now to lower the CYA or you need to be targeting and maintaining a FC of 21-31ppm.

Oh and start using 10ml water sample for the FAS-DPD test ... no need for the 0.2 accuracy.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The pool water looks great, crystal clear. I shocked last night with 400oz, and again this evening. I get up at 4 am leave for work at 5am and get home around 4pm. Should I be testing in the morning also vs just checking every evening. Glad to know I don't need to worry about the high alkalinity. I intend to lower the cya even further, but for now I will try alot backwashing and refill.

6. Back To Top    #6

The more often you test and adjust the better. You should test and adjust when you get home, before you go to bed and then again in the morning if that is all you have time for. In fact the before bed and the morning tests could qualify for the OCLT and give you a feel for you progress.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

4am this morning my FC was 6.5, CC 0.5, ph was 7.4 I shocked
    4pm my FC was 13.0, CC 0.5 or less, PH 7.2
    I used the 10ml sample and the color barely changed, Should I shock again tonight just to be safe or am I good
    Since I am new at this and just learning should I anticipate a 2 ppm decrease per day? Should I adust the FC to 9 or 10(range 7-12) every morning or evening or does it matter. Thanks to everyone who has helped me, I was overwhelmed the 1st couple of days with all the testing and trying to make since of it. I think I am catching on, slowly but catching on.

8. Back To Top    #8

Read the Shocking Your Pool PROCESS again.

You have to pass the 3 criteria to stop the shock process. CC now look fine. Is the water clear? Did you pass the OCLT?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

ok, pool water crystal clear. CC is 0.5 or less. So all that is left is to take a reading at dark, another in the morning before daylight, and as long as the FC doesn't change more than 1 ppm I am done shocking.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by tarab
    ok, pool water crystal clear. CC is 0.5 or less. So all that is left is to take a reading at dark, another in the morning before daylight, and as long as the FC doesn't change more than 1 ppm I am done shocking.
    Yep.

So if it passed before you leave for work, you don't need to add any bleach that morning and can spend all day long thinking about jumping in that money pit as soon as you get home.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

11. Back To Top    #11

Well darn... Last night at 10 pm FC was 11.5 . At 4 am FC was 10. So I lost 1.5 ppm. Will raise to shock level again. I ran filter all night long(does this matter on overnite test). CC is still 0.5 or less.

12. Back To Top    #12

I think running the filter for the OCLT is a good idea
    Jason, TFP Moderator