Cloudy water

bboran

Jul 17, 2012
Okay I had my intex pool last year and successfully no problems all summer. I set it up again this year and did the 4 days of shock for a temp pool. The chlorine test showed orange and now bright yellow so off the chart on my two way tester and the ph is 7.2 but my water is cloudy. I run the pump 24/7 even tho I know that it had shut off (not for sure how long) and has now been running continuously for 2 days. Also I'm thinking I have a leak because there is a pool of water outside in one area. I have been looking up to see how to detect a leak and patch it but am more concerned about the cloudy water. Could too high of chlorine make it cloudy. No one has really been in it yet either other then I did so today for a bit. I did have a really hard time trying to dissolve the shock prior to putting it in my pool. It was granular shock from last year but not opened.

Thanks for any advice.

Can you confirm the type of granular chlorine that you used?

What pump/filter setup do you have?
Please add your pool details and location as described HERE to your signature as it will help us help you.

Sorry Jason, I redid my signature. The shock is by pool essentials and is trichloro s triazinetrione 53.5% I tried to dissolve it in a 5qt bucket and used 4 oz per night for 4 nights. I haven't put any additional bleach since Saturday. I tested it just a bit ago and it's 5 for chlorine and 7.8 ph I did forget to mention that I had used baby powder to store the pool and may not have gotten all the residual out if that has a play in this. Thanks so much.

Trichlor is hard to dissolve ... that is why the pool-school/temporary_pool_guide recommends the use of dichlor. That is also a strange % on the trichlor ... seems low. Hard to say how high your CYA is now unless you can test for it. True trichlor would have put you at 30ppm.

Those intex cartridges leave a lot to be desired as far as actually cleaning the water ... it may just take some time to remove the cloudiness. I think I read that there are Unicel cartridges that work a lot better.

Okay thanks Jason. I didnt realize until later that i didnt purchase the correct shock this time. I wondered why this one seemed so smelly and strong. I also know my pump and cartridges are not the best but they did well for me last summer so i figured until this one burns out i would use it.
Do i have to buy those other cartridges online then. So are you telling me to just give it some time. Does it matter that my FC is so high?
Thanks again!

Likely you just need more filter time. Hard to say how high the FC really is with the color matching kit, it will drop pretty quickly.

What test do you have now? The hth 6 way would give you a little better idea including the CYA test.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WHEN I ADDED THE SODA ASH I WAS TOLD TO VACUME EVERYDAY AND CLEAN THE FILTER EVERYDAY SOME TIMES I HAVE DONE IT TWICE AND ALSO ALTERNATED THE FILTER. TOOK ABOUT A WEEK POOL IS CLEARER THE INTEX PUMPS JUST DONT HAVE THE POWER TO SUCK IT ALL OUT. BUT YOU WILL BE AMAZED WHAT WILL BE ON THE FILTER..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will try that too. What do you vacuum with? My husband just make shifted a syphon type suction for me and it works pretty well but takes forever not that i really mind.
So upset that i didnt pay attention to the type of shock i was using. Oh well. Live and learn.

Okay so I am again dealing with cloudy water. I was having a hard time keeping my chlorine levels up so i slammed my pool one night and it did seem to help and now my chlorine levels and ph have been better but my pool is still cloudy. Haven't been in it for several weeks as we got some really cold weather and now we are getting the opposite weather. Is been in the 90,s and my pool water is like bath water. I do think my pool could use a good vacuum but all I have is the hose run vacuum from intex and a Syphone my husband set up for me. Could it be that i am nit getting it clean enough with the pump i have and no good vacuum system. I hate to admit it but i also reuse my filters but i clean them out really well (my husbands idea). I didn't think it was algae because my pool is not slimy or green but from what I have now read it still could be. We are probably a week away from closing the pool down so my major concern is is it safe to swim in. I have a 4 yr old but I also am willing to do what I can to get my crystal clear water back too. Thank you!

bboran said:
Okay so I am again dealing with cloudy water.... so i slammed my pool one night...
This the problem. SLAMing is a process, not a one time application of something. You probably didn't finish completely cleaning the pool. If the FC got low at all anything living in the pool came right back. How are you testing your water? Please post a full set of test results and we can try to give you some guidance.

I didnt realize that until i read another post. I was going by the seasonal and temp pool instructions. Unfortunately the only test system i have is the drops for chlorine and ph. I will plan to slamm my pool again tonight and keep slamming it until i get clear water? Thanks so much.

You can not properly SLAM without one of the Recommended Test Kits, specifically the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Do you know your CYA? If not, how do you know what FC level to target.

If you are not going to invest in a kit, then you are better off draining the pool and starting over and then maintaining adequate FC so the water does not turn again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.