Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lots of bugs at night!

1. Back To Top    #1

Huntington, WV

lots of bugs at night!

I usually enjoy night swimming now that we have purchased a 35 Watt Nitelighter, however, it seems to draw the bugs, mostly mosquitoes. We have a bug zapper that is placed away from the pool area, however, we still seem to get bit, making it less desirable to swim at night. Is there any solution to this problem? Thanks.
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re: lots of bugs at night!

round here bugs are very active till the middle of july.. maybe they will go away in a few weeks?
    13500 gallon AG, build late 90's, Hayward S220T sand filter,1Hp aqua coastal
    Gasser BBQ broilmate 155154 LP, Smoker CGK (akorn)

3. Back To Top    #3
    SW Indiana

We seldom use our pool light for that very reason. We use tiki torches to light the pool at night.

For the most part, bug zappers attract more bugs than they kill, so they make the problem worse.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4
    Antelope, CA

I don't use a light in the pool at night. I enjoy the lack of light. It also has the benefit of drawing fewer bugs. I live in the suburbs.

Does a yellow bulb light help.. the old "bug light" ... ulbs-work/
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100