Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: idea for Tiki Torches wick cap

1. Back To Top    #1

idea for Tiki Torches wick cap

I have about 10 Tiki Torches that I use around my deck and pool, however, the cap that comes with the torch is pretty silly. Either it gets lost or it breaks and then since the torch cannot be covered, when it rains, it dilutes the bottle of oil as well as ruins the wick and it cannot be lit again. Does anyone have an idea of a homemade cap for these things?

Thanks.
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: idea for Tiki Torches wick cap

I wonder if you could get some 2" PVC pipe and end caps and put a bit of cement in the bottom of the cap, then when inverted and used as a cover, the weight of the cement would keep them from blowing off.
    18x33 AGP, 17,300 gal, Hayward Sand Filter, 1.5 HP 2 Speed Hayward Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Thats a pretty good idea. Paint them black or brown, etc. Thanks!
    24' AGP
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.5hp pump
    Hayward Pro Series S180T 150lb sand filter
    Intex 54601EG Krystal Clear SWG
    Diver Dave pool cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Here's the best solution I have found. Use a ROUND RUBBER CHAIR LEG CAP. There are some black ones about 1" in diameter (that's one inch for you metric folks) available at Home Depot. They twist on stretching right over the uppermost portion of the metal top on most ordinary and genuine Tiki fuel containers (closest to where the wick comes out). They seal remarkably well and are tall enough not to adversely affect the wick. I searched high and low for anything that would fit the (useless) outer threads at the top without success. I found a few of these rubber leg caps in my shed and they are absolutely perfect. Nothing threaded would have sealed as well. The final key to transporting full (and refillable!) Tiki fuel containers was to add a properly sized o-ring to the top of the screw-in can and now I can carry these cans full and ready to go without them leaking all over the place. I still keep them in a plastic cat litter bucket repurposed for the task. A decent, sealable canister must be against the law or something but I'm never buying the "Ready-2-Lights" (that you can't refill) ever again. This solution isn't for creating a cap that extinguishes the torch but I've never had a problem simply blowing a torch out. It was the kerosene all over my car that burned my as*. How safe was that?

5. Back To Top    #5

1" copper sweat pipe caps also will work.
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.