Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad opening this year.

1. Back To Top    #1

Bad opening this year.

I don't have a question. Just wanted to share my pool opening story this year.

My winter cover ended up with a hole in it somewhere. I kept trying to drain the green nasty water off the top, but my pool water kept dropping. We finally just scooped the leaves off and had to pull the cover and let all that nasty green stuff into the pool. It's taken me two days of vaccuming and running the filter constantly to get it clear. It's still a little cloudy, but I anticipate it to be clear tomorrow.

Working on getting the water stabilizer to 30 or so. It was almost non existent due to the winter draining and all the draining I was doing trying to get the green water off the cover.

I do have some liner staining. We have high levels of metals in our fill water. I'll give it another day and if my metal free product doesn't work, I'll start with the ascorbic acid. We've had this before when I fill and don't get the metal free stuff in before hand. It's been a crazy spring and things didn't get done in the normal order.
    17K Gal. IG Vinyl - 1.5 HP Pentair WhisperFlo Pump - Pentair SMBW 4048 DE Filter - Solar Heating - TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School - The Pool Calculator - How to Shock Your Pool - Help Support This Great Site!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Twin Cities, MN

Re: Bad opening this year.

Sounds like a tough start to the season.

Do you know what your cya level was when you closed?

By the way Metal Free is not one of the sequestrants we recommend on tfp. See this pool school article for our recommendations:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Central Massachusetts

Re: Bad opening this year.

2 days from opening to clear sounds good to me! I hope you enjoy the pool after the days of work you put in.
    35,000 gallons - inground vinyl liner -- sand filter - 1 HP, 50.76 GPM - Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 SWG - Dolphin Apollo Plus - TF-100