Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sandstone/Grey bottom in Seattle. Anyone have pics? Anyone?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sandstone/Grey bottom in Seattle. Anyone have pics? Anyone?

I posted previously and have hit our deadline. Being in Seattle we have major reservations about a grey bottom pool. But most images published on the web show a really pretty aqua/deep blue. Of course those are taken on pretty pool days, in a warmer location. We have an aggregate slab, so the earth tones and pebble grey background really compliment the surroundings. It think we're going to pull the trigger. Was just hoping someone would share their opinion about this color variation installed in the northwest. We are likely going with a Santa Cruz/Sandstone liner. The plastimayd website has samples. I've been trying and cannot upload m image. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. 93 views on my other post and not one response
    6k gal, AG 18ftx48in intex ultra frame, cartridge, SWG

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sandstone/Grey bottom in Seattle. Anyone have pics? Anyo

Go with what you like. Sorry, I can't help much. In the big scheme of things it will be forgotten later when you are enjoying the pool.
    Pool: IG, 8'W x20'L x5' deep, 6000 gallons, Stonescapes Blue Tropics Mini-Pebble gunite pool
    Equipment: Hayward SwimClear 3030 cartridge filter, SP32102EE Tristar 1 HP 2-speed pump,
    Universal H-Series Low NOx H400FDN (400K BTU) heater, SWG = Hayward Aqua
    Rite with Turbo Cell 9, and a Navigator XL cleaner
    Ground break 7/12/2013 Filled 8/6/2013

3. Back To Top    #3

We are in Seattle and have a light grey gunite pool. The water is crystal clear and sparkles, but it is a rare day when it appears blue. We have an automatic cover, so unless we are using the pool, we just see the cover anyway. I'd second the above post and get what you like.

4. Back To Top    #4

What did you end up purchasing? I also like the look of a grey bottom, but I am in the Midwest. Please post pics!
    21,000 gallon, 30' round AG pool (new install in 2013)
    Hayward SwimPro SW256T sand filter, Hayward SwimPro Voyager 2HP pump
    Pool Pilot Dig 220 SC-48 SWG
    Taylor K-2006 FAS-DPD test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dnakai
    I posted previously and have hit our deadline. Being in Seattle we have major reservations about a grey bottom pool. But most images published on the web show a really pretty aqua/deep blue. Of course those are taken on pretty pool days, in a warmer location. We have an aggregate slab, so the earth tones and pebble grey background really compliment the surroundings. It think we're going to pull the trigger. Was just hoping someone would share their opinion about this color variation installed in the northwest. We are likely going with a Santa Cruz/Sandstone liner. The plastimayd website has samples. I've been trying and cannot upload m image. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. 93 views on my other post and not one response

I am one of the nerds who sometimes looks at view/ response ratios and it always amazes me how many look and say nothing.

As for this topic, I know you guys are cloudy up there a lot, but grey gives a nice crisp blue on sunny days. Not sure how tan would do up there however...don't have a feeling either way, sorry. I do know that sun/clouds/shade have a huge influence on water color. I want blue to blue green, but want it naturally. The blue liners or really blue plaster and pebbles sometimes look like "fake" blue to me, as if it is being forced to show the color. Hope that makes sense and wish you luck. Sorry I don't have more to offer.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for your response! I am in complete agreement with you on the blue liners appearing too fake and unnatural. More finished pool pics with an attached liner image online would certainly help, but they seem to be hard to come by.

7. Back To Top    #7

Pool is still under construction, but here is a picture to give you an idea. As you can tell, it's not completely full yet, but the deep end is 8'.

8. Back To Top    #8

That color is beautiful! So serene and tropical. Thanks for posting your pic! I'd love to see another when it's completely full of water.

9. Back To Top    #9

Guess I forgot to mention that it's a Loop Loc liner with sand pebble bottom. We went with no border. Many other liner companies carry the exact same pattern.

10. Back To Top    #10

It will give a nice color, one that I would certainly enjoy. Beauty!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

11. Back To Top    #11

Re: Sandstone/Grey bottom in Seattle. Anyone have pics? Anyone?

saw the above mentioned liner mid day sun out today. east coast. deep end light aqua, shallow end, gray dead and lifeless. need to see completely filled. also strongly dislike borders and blues....