Newbie about to pull the trigger on test kit...

Cubist

Apr 26, 2013
I am about to order my test kit & I'm looking for advice.

I'm planning to order the TF-100 kit, XL option for the kit, and the SpeedStir.

I don't close on the house for another 3-4 weeks, but I want to have a test kit in hand when the time comes. I've never owned or maintained a pool before. Any other reagents I should go ahead and order refills for? Any other do-dads you guys have found useful or wished you'd ordered sooner?

The pool is currently an enclosed black swamp. The seller is opening the pool prior to closing. I don't know much about the past maintenance of the water other than there are several buckets of pucks in the pool room and an inline feeder. There are several bags/ buckets of some sort of chemicals to raise the TA. I assume the previous owner has had trouble maintaining a normal TA level (perhaps from tri-chlor use?)

pucks are pretty acidic which is probably why they have that. When you go to liquid chlorine you will probably have the opposite problem and have to add acid to the pool regularly. Im finally down to about a half gallon a week.

Do you have a way to measure say 1 lb. of XYZ? Do you have a large measuring cup that can be devoted to pool chems?

A small bottle to collect the pool water sample in that has a tiny tip on it allows you to accurately fill the vials each time. I use my first CYA bottle i got but the changed the lids. something like a ketchup bottle, or anything that you can get a stream to come out but also just drops depending on how hard you squeeze.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.