Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie about to pull the trigger on test kit...

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie about to pull the trigger on test kit...

I am about to order my test kit & I'm looking for advice.

I'm planning to order the TF-100 kit, XL option for the kit, and the SpeedStir.

I don't close on the house for another 3-4 weeks, but I want to have a test kit in hand when the time comes. I've never owned or maintained a pool before. Any other reagents I should go ahead and order refills for? Any other do-dads you guys have found useful or wished you'd ordered sooner?

The pool is currently an enclosed black swamp. The seller is opening the pool prior to closing. I don't know much about the past maintenance of the water other than there are several buckets of pucks in the pool room and an inline feeder. There are several bags/ buckets of some sort of chemicals to raise the TA. I assume the previous owner has had trouble maintaining a normal TA level (perhaps from tri-chlor use?)
    26k-28k enclosed IG rectangular gunite pool, Attached spa, Hayward cartridge filter, 2 HP pump, AC-1500 HP

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie about to pull the trigger on test kit...

pucks are pretty acidic which is probably why they have that. When you go to liquid chlorine you will probably have the opposite problem and have to add acid to the pool regularly. Im finally down to about a half gallon a week.
    17,800 gallon, IG pool, 595 sq feet (17x35x4.5 avg rectangle), Hayward 525 cartridge filter, diamondbrite, 2 hp 2 speed hayward tristar filter, Stenner 45mhp10 automatically chlorinating

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

I think your shopping list is complete. Call us if you like and we'll discuss.

(919) 528-1454
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4
    North Georgia

Do you have a way to measure say 1 lb. of XYZ? Do you have a large measuring cup that can be devoted to pool chems?

A small bottle to collect the pool water sample in that has a tiny tip on it allows you to accurately fill the vials each time. I use my first CYA bottle i got but the changed the lids. something like a ketchup bottle, or anything that you can get a stream to come out but also just drops depending on how hard you squeeze.
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

5. Back To Top    #5

Rochester, NY

Scope out the area around your new home for the best price for chlorine/bleach. Pool stores(which I usually avoid, but you may find a good price), Walmart, etc You can use the calculator linked in this post. Be sure to check the concentration of chlorine.

You'll be happy you ordered that kit ahead of time.
    Installed June 2012 Aqua Leader 24ft Round AG Influence w/54 inch walls 13,500 gallons
    Cartridge Filter 100SF, 1.5HP
    Aqua Plus Smarte System - In for vacations, BBB all the way.
    Love my PVC Solar Cover Hangers