My Success Story. Before and After Pics

May 19, 2013
Just wanted to post my thanks to all contributors who helped a Newbie Lurker get control of his pool. Had major algae bloom and threw a bunch of chemicals into it with no real scientific approach. With no success, I admitted defeat and came here for advice. Learned my basic pool science, followed the shock thread (Thanks JasonLions) and developed some patience.

Of course, similar with other stories, the key to my success was getting a good test kit. I think it has already paid for itself (TF-100)

Determined my shock levels with the charts (I was not even getting my FC CLOSE to real shock levels prior to that). Kept my FC at about 23-25 for 4 days, often required shocking twice a day. I saw almost NO results for the first 48 hours, but just kept my chemistry right and kept brushing the pool. I got a little impatient and went and bought some DE to speed things up. I started seeing better results right away.

Now I am at day 6, my pool is sparkling clear, and my FC is around 21. I did a chlorine drop test last night after dark (FC 23) and fell to 21 early this morning. Should I hold on adding more shock at this point and just keep checking my chlorine drop overnight? If it drops less than one overnight, I can stop the shock process, right?

Pics at day 1[attachment=1:34yoqwag]IMG_2472.jpeg[/attachment:34yoqwag] and day 6 [attachment=0:34yoqwag]photo.jpeg[/attachment:34yoqwag]. I have some slight metal staining on the front ledge that I will eventually use ascorbic acid on... but that's for another day.

thanks to all for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_2472.jpeg
    IMG_2472.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 142
  • photo.jpeg
    photo.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 142
Welcome to tfp, Moodyerdoc :wave:

When I first read you post and looked at your pics, I thought you still had green water...then I figured out that your pics are day 6 first and day 1 second :oops:

Moodyerdoc said:
Should I hold on adding more shock at this point and just keep checking my chlorine drop overnight? If it drops less than one overnight, I can stop the shock process, right?
Keep it at your shocking level until your Overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT) is less than 1 ppm, your cc<0.5 ppm and your pool is crystal clear simultaneously.

Welcome! :wave:

Yes, keep it up there. You want it gone for good, don't leave anything left to come back.

And now you can get into some other threads and repeat that perfect line of yours, "the key to my success was getting a good test kit. I think it has already paid for itself (TF-100)"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.