Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My Success Story. Before and After Pics

1. Back To Top    #1

My Success Story. Before and After Pics

Just wanted to post my thanks to all contributors who helped a Newbie Lurker get control of his pool. Had major algae bloom and threw a bunch of chemicals into it with no real scientific approach. With no success, I admitted defeat and came here for advice. Learned my basic pool science, followed the shock thread (Thanks JasonLions) and developed some patience.

Of course, similar with other stories, the key to my success was getting a good test kit. I think it has already paid for itself (TF-100)

Determined my shock levels with the charts (I was not even getting my FC CLOSE to real shock levels prior to that). Kept my FC at about 23-25 for 4 days, often required shocking twice a day. I saw almost NO results for the first 48 hours, but just kept my chemistry right and kept brushing the pool. I got a little impatient and went and bought some DE to speed things up. I started seeing better results right away.

Now I am at day 6, my pool is sparkling clear, and my FC is around 21. I did a chlorine drop test last night after dark (FC 23) and fell to 21 early this morning. Should I hold on adding more shock at this point and just keep checking my chlorine drop overnight? If it drops less than one overnight, I can stop the shock process, right?

Pics at day 1[attachment=1:34yoqwag]IMG_2472.jpeg[/attachment:34yoqwag] and day 6 [attachment=0:34yoqwag]photo.jpeg[/attachment:34yoqwag]. I have some slight metal staining on the front ledge that I will eventually use ascorbic acid on... but that's for another day.

thanks to all for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10,000 gal IG Trilogy Fiberglass (16X32) with 16 inch deep upper wading pool with 3 spillways to pool Intellichlor SWG, 2 HP Sta-Rite Max-E Pro pump. Pentair Tegalus Sand Filter. Hayward Heat Pump Glacier Pool Chiller, Pool Cleaner 2 Suction cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My Success Story. Before and After Pics

Welcome to tfp, Moodyerdoc

When I first read you post and looked at your pics, I thought you still had green water...then I figured out that your pics are day 6 first and day 1 second

Quote Originally Posted by Moodyerdoc
    Should I hold on adding more shock at this point and just keep checking my chlorine drop overnight? If it drops less than one overnight, I can stop the shock process, right?
    Keep it at your shocking level until your Overnight chlorine loss test (OCLT) is less than 1 ppm, your cc<0.5 ppm and your pool is crystal clear simultaneously.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

GREAT job! Congrats.

You have a beautiful pool!
    Central Indiana, 7200 gallon, IG fiberglass, L250 Jacuzzi sand filter, Hayward H150 gas heater, Pentair fiber optic light - installed '06. AOSmith 1.0hp pump, CPSC-24 SWG - installed '13. TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome!

Yes, keep it up there. You want it gone for good, don't leave anything left to come back.

And now you can get into some other threads and repeat that perfect line of yours, "the key to my success was getting a good test kit. I think it has already paid for itself (TF-100)"
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

Good for you and welcome. On the right track and you are nearly there. Pass the OCLT and make sure you are done according to the "how to shock your pool".
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks everyone. Goodbye pool store guy.
    10,000 gal IG Trilogy Fiberglass (16X32) with 16 inch deep upper wading pool with 3 spillways to pool Intellichlor SWG, 2 HP Sta-Rite Max-E Pro pump. Pentair Tegalus Sand Filter. Hayward Heat Pump Glacier Pool Chiller, Pool Cleaner 2 Suction cleaner.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Moodyerdoc
    thanks everyone. Goodbye pool store guy.

SEEYA!!!!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem