Calcium scale? Not sure of my problem.

mtw826

Jun 4, 2010
MI
This whole thing started with a leak that developed last year. At one point I was losing an inch day. I had to add a lot of well water which has a very high iron content. I didn’t notice too much staining last year but did see some early signs of it. This spring I had to add about 3000 gallons from the well to get everything up and running. Fast forward- I had the leak fixed at the end of April and I figured I was good to go. Got the pool cleaned up and nice and clear-good levels on all accounts, but I had metal staining on my two year old liner. I read all about the AA treatment and went ahead with this approach. I couldn’t find any place locally to buy AA and the pool store had never heard of it, go figure. I ended up getting Natural chemistry stain free and the liquid metal free as a follow up. I assumed stain free was just AA in a fancy container.

So I let chlorine drop to 0 PPM and put in 1 ¾ lbs of the stain free and a couple hours later added the metal free liquid. It did remove the dark greenish color that was staining the liner but now I have a very rough feeling liner, some sort of scaling. It is on the walls and the floor and can be scrubbed off with a generous amount of elbow grease. It comes off the walls easier than the floor. As it scrubs away it looks like little tiny salt particles. It feels like you are walking on sandpaper in the pool. It is at its worst where the metal stains were at, in the corners and along creases. In these areas I can’t even scrub it all off. This was my first time in the pool for the season so I’m not sure if the coarse texture was there before I did the metal treatment.

I have not had any issues with levels that were out of wack as far as PH being high and causing calcium scaling. Based on my research on this site it sounds like calcium scaling but doesn’t make sense that it would be the worst in the areas that had metal stains.

Once again I need advice on what I should do and what the problem might be I have included a set of numbers from today. If you tell me to scrub it off what is the best way to do this since I can’t be under the water long enough to scrub areas that need it. The regular pool brush isn’t abrasive enough to do the job; I have been using a green scrub pad. It’s a vinyl liner and draining is out of the question right now, ground is way too wet.

Thank you in Advance.

PH 7.6
Fc 3 I know its low, the metal treatment said not to go too high the first few days after treatment.
CC 0
CYA 40
TA 110
CH 270

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.