Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: White flakes at bottom of pool-Pentair IC40

1. Back To Top    #1

White flakes at bottom of pool-Pentair IC40

Pool is 11 months old, white flakes have been collecting at the bottom for the last 3 months and increasing in quantity. Called the builder out this Saturday, cleaned the IC40 again along with the filter and still had flakes Sunday morning. Builder says it's normal and more visible because of the dark bottom pool (Quartzscape). Chemistry is good, adding acid occasionally but everything else seems about right. I'm not buying that this is normal but not sure what the issue is? Thanks in advance.
    18,000 Gallon in ground salt pool and spa, Quartzscape, Pentair Easy Touch, Pentair IntelliClor IC 40,
    Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400,000 BTU Heater
    1 Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump, The Pool Cleaner Sweep

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: White flakes at bottom of pool-Pentair IC40

I have the same problem, same equipment . pool is 2 years old. go to three pool stores get three different answers! Help !
    9 ft x 18 ft x 52 in Intex Ultra Frame
    1,200gal Intex Krystal Clear™ Sand Filter Pump
    Hayward Wide Mouth Skimmer MODEL SP1090WM

3. Back To Top    #3

More than likely it is calcium collecting on the cell and flaking off. What is the CH reading of your water?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

I had the same issue, until I properly balanced the water. It is caused by scale building up in the SWG and discharging into the pool. If you keep the CSI index at or very near zero it will stop. For mine that requires very close monitoring of pH and TA. Now I don't even have to clean the cell. When the indicator comes on I just inspect it and put it back.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I'll try to post the numbers tomorrow. I don't have CH or CYA numbers, guess I'm gonna have to get a better test kit.
    18,000 Gallon in ground salt pool and spa, Quartzscape, Pentair Easy Touch, Pentair IntelliClor IC 40,
    Pentair Quad DE Filter, Pentair 400,000 BTU Heater
    1 Pentair IntelliFlo VS pump, The Pool Cleaner Sweep