Pump replacement help

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
I need to replace a pump for my FIL's pool and looking for help.

Pool stats:
16x32 in-ground (approx 20k gallons)
Single return
Deep end main drain
single skimmer
No water features.
I think 1 1/2" or 2" inch piping but will have to re-check this next time I go over there.

The existing pump is a 3/4 hp Richardson's E-Z-Flo Pump (115vac).

The pump motor gets so hot to the touch (can't put hands on it) and eventually shuts down by itself. Then it restarts by itself when cooled. I suspect the motor will fail sooner than later. It's been doing this for about a month now.

To avoid electrical and plumbing changes, I would like to replace it with exact same pump but can't find it. I assume they are no longer in business as the pool is more than 25 YO and pump has not been replaced (lived a good life). My FIL has no owners manual for the existing pump so I took some pics of the set up and closeups of the motor/pump.

Can anyone suggest a replacement for this pump that would require the least amount of installation work?

[attachment=2:s4t6297u]filter.JPG[/attachment:s4t6297u]

Attachments

• filter.JPG
    filter.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 65
  • pump.JPG
    pump.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 65
  • motor.JPG
    motor.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 65
That looks like it could be a re-badged hayward pump. From the picture of the label with "sp" on it, it looks like nothing else is written? "sp" indicates it is likely a hayward pump.

The pump model ust1072 tells us it is an uprated 3/4 hp motor, which was used on:Hayward Max Flow, Hayward Super Pump, Hayward Super II, and Hayward Northstar pumps.

bobodaclown said:
All you need is a replacement motor.

I like this approach. I did a search on AO Smith UST1072 and found this motor for $130

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Century- ... ST1072.htm

But then I tried to find the o-rings/screws for the Richardson E-Z-Flo Pump and could not find any. I chatted with a guy at the above supply store and he said the pump was too old to match up a set of seals/gaskets. He said the existing ones should be fine, but I would be a little concerned about that on a pump that is 25+ years old. Do you think if i just took the old ones to a pool store that they would be able to match them up with the old pump? Also, what are the odds that the old diffuser and impeller are still good?

bobodaclown said:
Found this info: http://www.pumpwarehouse.com/richardson.html
Call and ask them they may be able to help, looks like they've got all the parts.

The impeller and diffuser should be ok. You might be able to inspect them and pull some numbers and do some cross referencing. (Possibly cross reference to a Hayward Super II) Also remember to replace the shaft seal.

Hope it helps.

Yes, that's a huge help. Thanks!

I called them and they have exactly what I need. The only thing they asked me to do before ordering was to check the voltage out at the motor. He said those overheating symptoms could also be caused by low voltage (increased current). If there is low voltage (less than 10% of the motor rating of 115v), I need to check the wiring and/or electrical connections. He also asked me to check the air vents on the motor to make sure they are not clogged.

If those 2 things check out ok, then I'll be ordering a new motor from them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.