Liquidator Questions

May 7, 2013
I currently have a Hayward offline chlorinator plumbed into my system and turned all the way to the off setting. I am using bleach now for my chlorine needs, but have recently purchased the Liquidator with the 3/8 kit.

Can I keep the chlorinator as well as the Liquidator. There are times in the spring where I want to add chlorine and stabilizer to the pool and the chlorinator does that well. The problem with the chlorinator is once the stabilizer is ideal, it continues to climb!!! That would be when I would move it to the off position and use the liquidator.

My reason for getting the Liquidator is that my wife hates putting any chemicals in the pool and I travel a ton. I get really tired of coming home to a cloudy or semi green pool. The LQ could eliminate the need for nightly chlorine if I use it correctly.

Lee

Thats what I thought. Our pool is 18X36, about 29K gallons. The chlorinator did a good job, but it kept jacking the stabilizer through the roof. Now, with all the rain, the CYA is at a more manageable level (around 50) so it is a good time to make the switch to the LQ/

bigdaddy72 said:
Thats what I thought. Our pool is 18X36, about 29K gallons. The chlorinator did a good job, but it kept jacking the stabilizer through the roof. Now, with all the rain, the CYA is at a more manageable level (around 50) so it is a good time to make the switch to the LQ/

I am sure there is a chlorine tablet or substitute that does not jack up the CYA or the CH. I will look, but it seems to me that one would not want a chlorinator if it only takes tablets that introduce other chemicals such as CYA or Calcium. If that were my pool, I would remove the chlorinator and install the liquidator so I would not be tempted to take a short cut and use tablets for a short period of time.

After looking a bit, stay away from chlorine tablets as they either jack up CYA or CH and some even jack your PH!!! Looks like liquid chlorine or bleach is the way to go. Ditch that chlorinator I say!!!

smid87 said:
bigdaddy72 said:

I am sure there is a chlorine tablet or substitute that does not jack up the CYA or the CH. I will look, but it seems to me that one would not want a chlorinator if it only takes tablets that introduce other chemicals such as CYA or Calcium. If that were my pool, I would remove the chlorinator and install the liquidator so I would not be tempted to take a short cut and use tablets for a short period of time.

After looking a bit, stay away from chlorine tablets as they either jack up CYA or CH and some even jack your PH!!! Looks like liquid chlorine or bleach is the way to go. Ditch that chlorinator I say!!!

The only time I use it is in the early spring and very late in the fall (to bring my CYA up) It is convenient to just set it and test daily to watch the levels. Once I get the CYA to optimum, I dial it to zero and will use the LQ instead.

The other issue is that I don't feel like tearing and cutting in a union right now. I may do it this weekend, but TBD.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.