Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pH at ~7.0. corrected. how long to wait and retest

1. Back To Top    #1

pH at ~7.0. corrected. how long to wait and retest

got heavy rainfall last night. was glad to see pool, while overflowing, is still sparkling clear. test results

FC - 4 - added 20 oz bleach

CC - .5 (what should combined chlorine # be anyway? and should i even worry about it? it was an extra step on kit instructions so i did it)

pH - ~7.0 - it was pretty dang light yellow colored. i put it in as 7.0 on pool calc. added borax as instructed plus added 12 oz baking soda for TA as instructed.

TA - 90

CYA - assuming still 0. this is day two. my kids squeezed / shook sock on ladder yesterday, dissolving granules. clouded pool up for about 15 minutes. none on pool bottom anywhere. it may be absorbed. i test CYA tomorrow morning. being patient since there isnt much reagent in k-2006 kit for CYA

pump is going, soda and borax broadcast spread across pool. stirred a bit with skimmer net.

how long should i wait to retest pH before swimming resumes?

thanks!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pH at ~7.0. corrected. how long to wait and retest

You only need to wait an hour after adjusting the PH before you can retest.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You only need to wait an hour after adjusting the PH before you can retest.

thank you sir!
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

4. Back To Top    #4

I would learn to be really patient with the CYA test. It takes a lot of chemical to run the test, so I would advise finding the number and then adding the required amount and waiting at least a week if not two before re-checking.

IE - If you know you're at 0 and it takes 5lbs of the stuff to bring it up, add the stuff, let it dissolve completely, and check a 4-7 days after the sock was emptied. Just my two cents, but I may've tested the CYA too much early on, and it takes a good amount of chemical to run the test. Patience is key with that one.