grey mottling on bottom of pool

Jun 17, 2013
I have a couple of issues that need addressing please - our pool is a plaster chlorine pool that is not quite 2 years old and it appears the plaster was not a quality job as there are many areas that the gunite is showing thru the plaster around the steps, edges of the pool, there are areas that are not smooth along the walls and we have grey mottling down in the deep end of our pool that showed up fairly quickly (w/in 4-6 mos) that we have been told will not come out unless we drain the pool and acid wash it and that takes away some of the plaster. I have had a couple of pool guys who have serviced our pool tell me that it’s due to “improper start up” and we feel like this is our pool builders fault.

At the time our pool was being built we were scheduled to go out of town right as the plaster was being completed and we told our builder that we would not be there for about 10 days and he said no problem as they would have their guys take care of everything and they would clean out all the debris that was in the bottom of the pool and in the pool miser area (all kinds of dirt/sand) and that they would brush the walls while we were gone and monitor the pool fill and that he would be there to make sure it happened.

It appears that didn’t happen as we called our neighbor to check on the pool while we were gone a few times and he said that our pool was not filling all the way and that was with the hose running about 48 hours straight - and it was flooding into the yard from the overflow pipe (that was a very costly mistake in water bill) and apparently the pool miser was not done correctly and the builder had to put about a 4 inch extension on the end of the pipe to keep all the water from flowing out before the pool reached a good level.

They also didn’t brush appropriately nor did he give me the months worth of pool maintenance and cleaning upon start up that he said in our contract..... he was great to work with UNTIL he got our last payment and we paid over $50K for our pool so this was not something he shouldn’t have taken care of per our contract. Now we are in a battle as we feel his negligence and lack of detail and attention once we were not at home to monitor everything as caused the permanent mottling on our pool bottom and really detracts from the pool and our plaster is supposed to be warranted for 3 years and he is not wanting to take any ownership of the problem but rather tell us it must have been improper chemicals, cleaning, by us - NOT SO....I am a zealot when it comes to to cleaning and staying on top of the maintenance.

Thanks for your help as I am new to this forum.. and have photos I can post if that helps

Hi, welcome to TFP! I am sorry you are having these problems with your pool. Go ahead and post some pictures, maybe someone will have some good suggestions for dealing with the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.