Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Filter

1. Back To Top    #1

Good days everyone,

Just a small question when is it better to run the filter? During the day or during the night? I understand the pool water has to cycle a few times but was curious as to when is better.

Please and thank you
    16 x 32 IG
    sand filter
    1HP PUMP
    TF-100 kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Filter

There's no difference as far as the filter is concerned - it will filter the same day or night.

Absent any obvious debris that needs to be filtered/vacuumed out, I run my filter when adding chemicals. If you use liquid bleach/chlorine (like me), I would dose in the early evening when no sunlight is hitting the pool. Since the filter should be on when adding any chemical to the pool, I would run it for at least 30 minutes after the last chemical addition or as long as needed to keep the water clear and/or vacuum.

Refer to this article to determine pump run time: Determine Pump Run Time
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.