Hayward skimmer thru intex wall. Any tips?

Jun 17, 2013
Just bought a large DE filter on ebay for my 15'x 48" intex. I like overkill. Planning on hard plumbing a hayward skimmer thru the wall. Ive seen some informative posts here on that but most of the pics are unviewable. Any suggestions with regards to preventing leaks? Has anyone used silicone in conjunction with the butterfly gasket? Should I cut the gasket in order to make it 2 piece so I can cut the hole thru the wall after installing skimmer, or just put the whole gasket on the inside of the wall? Any tips would be appreciated.

your pool has the 1 1/4 holes correct?
if so order 2-1 1/2 intex return eyeball assemblies
go to lowes and buy 6 part #e 996h in the electric plastic conduit aisle
and while your there pick up a 1/8 inch thick piece of rubber gasket material and a assortment of 1 1/2 sch 40 elbows 45 degree and 90 degree and 20 foot of 1 1/2 sch 40 pvc pipe.
your gonna have to come up with some of the larger 1 1/2 intex nuts that come on the hoses in the larger intex pools to make the connections

exactly what bmarley5780 said
cut the butterfly gasket in half with a razor blade or exacto knife trimming off any lip or if that scares you go to the pool store and buy 2 RUBBER gaskets for you skimmer (take butterfly gasket with you to match them up). Another good tip is to use a small torpedo level and level the inside faceplate and mark the 2 top outside holes with a sharpie, and drill those 2 holes and mount the skimmer tighten snugly and with someone on the outside of the pool holding the skimmer tight against the liner install remaining screws all tightened snugly once all screws are in with a correct sized screwdriver tighten all screws in a star fashion hook up all hose and cut out opening...CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!

New to TFP and so far there seems to be great information here. Has anyone had their through wall skimmer installed for an extended time period (a year or more)? I want to do this to my INtex 26' Ultra Frame but I am worried that over time the cut could start to tear from the stress on the wall. I may be overly cautious but have only had the pool for a month and want to make sure I do not ruin it.

Awesome! Thanks for the reply. Only other thing to ask is did you reinforce the wall with patch material or do just have the single thickness vinyl? I am going to order the skinner to do the modification. Sounds like the way to go. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just to chine in, when you cut the Hayward gasket in half, it's OK to not further trim or worry about the rough edge from the knife. Simply turn that side of the gasket away from the pool on each side. This leaves the perfectly smooth side against the pool, and wont interfere with the seal.

I only say this because I can see how trying to trim that little rough edge could cause more harm than good in the process. If you're anal, careful and patient, then go for it.

fast1971chevelle said:
cut the butterfly gasket in half with a razor blade or exacto knife trimming off any lip or if that scares you go to the pool store and buy 2 RUBBER gaskets for you skimmer (take butterfly gasket with you to match them up). Another good tip is to use a small torpedo level and level the inside faceplate and mark the 2 top outside holes with a sharpie, and drill those 2 holes and mount the skimmer tighten snugly and with someone on the outside of the pool holding the skimmer tight against the liner install remaining screws all tightened snugly once all screws are in with a correct sized screwdriver tighten all screws in a star fashion hook up all hose and cut out opening...CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!

Followed fast1971chevelle's advice and installed the Hayward SP1091WM (wide mouth) skimmer this evening. I also used a die grinder to remove the lip that protrudes through the wall from the faceplate. By doing this I was able to tighten everything up before cutting the vinyl. I never even drained any water, just dried and oiled my screwdriver really well when I was done. No leaks, works great! Its been running for about 3 hours now and the water already looks better. I may try the BBB method next. :-D

JC_First said:
fast1971chevelle said:

I may try the BBB method next. :-D

Let me tell you, you will love it too. We put up a new, larger Intex pool this spring and ditched the Intex salt-water chlorine generator that had given us fits for two years. Using the BBB method, knowing exactly what is going into the water and where exactly you stand, is very reassuring. I have my FC between 4 and 6 while I'm slowly raising the CYA with dichlor, and the water has never been nicer. Although a bit chilly at times, the kids are getting a lot of use out of it already. The only time I smell chlorine is when I'm rinsing out their suits in the bathroom sink!

I have read many threads on this topic, and most replies include instructions to cut the butterfly gasket in half. I had the hayward skimmer on my previous 18 x 52 pool (3 yrs.) and have one on my current pool ( 1 yr.). I didn't cut the gasket, just installed it on the water side of the pool wall, and haven't had the slightest leak. On my current pool, I did order the slightly less expensive hydro tools skimmer from amazon, and it came with a split rubber gasket. It leaked from the get go. After fighting the leak for a week I broke down and ordered the hayward again. No leak!

John

gd5015 said:
I have read many threads on this topic, and most replies include instructions to cut the butterfly gasket in half. I had the hayward skimmer on my previous 18 x 52 pool (3 yrs.) and have one on my current pool ( 1 yr.). I didn't cut the gasket, just installed it on the water side of the pool wall, and haven't had the slightest leak. On my current pool, I did order the slightly less expensive hydro tools skimmer from amazon, and it came with a split rubber gasket. It leaked from the get go. After fighting the leak for a week I broke down and ordered the hayward again. No leak!

John

Thanks John, That's what I was thinking of trying, good to hear from someone who's had success with that. I still have not started the project because my DE filter wont arrive 'till next Tuesday.
I've also read of people lowering the water line and making the cut successfully before installing the skimmer, but the comments here have me leaning away from that. Obviously for the fish eye returns I'll have to make a cut prior to install, above the water line there doesn't seem to be a ton of tension on the liner. Thanks for the tips everyone. Eric

Just center the 1 1/2 eyeball over the 11/4 hole and mark around with a sharpie and CAREFULLY cut out new hole....
Make sure you have a new razor or exacto blade in the knife and go SLOWLY!!!!!!!!..... check and see if new eyeball will fit through exhisting hole first.......Mike

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.