Coping - aluminum vs concrete

May 31, 2008
PA
Be kind to the new guy...

I'm getting ready to have a 21'x38' coral pool installed, vinyl liner. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts and recommendations about the coping between the concrete deck and the liner. Aluminum coping is part of the base price, but I think that concrete is more aesthetically pleasing, though it might be rough on the skin if sliding in the pool from the deck.

How do the coping materials compare with durability and impact on liner maintenance/life?

I would recommend paying the extra cost for the concrete coping. Asthetically is looks better and is more like a traditional gunite pool in its look (at a far lower price). I don't belive you will see any difference in the life of the liner with either material.

I'm in the middle of a build and going with the concrete coping. This is my first liner pool so I personally can't speak of integrity of liner. My best friend put in a large L shaped pool 4 years ago and used the aluminum. The liner ripped after 1 year because the aluminum coping failed due to improper install. Her one suggestion to me was to do concrete coping.

Welcome to TFP and good luck with your new build. :-D

lovingHDTV said:
Are you planning on putting salt into the pool? Some put it in for the water softening affects, or if your going to run a SWG. If so I would imagine the concrete would stand up to the salt water better than the aluminum.

Yes, we are doing a SWG.

Based on recommendations, we are going with concrete coping. The diggers are breaking ground right now!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.