Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: Coping - aluminum vs concrete

Coping - aluminum vs concrete

Be kind to the new guy...

I'm getting ready to have a 21'x38' coral pool installed, vinyl liner. I was wondering if anyone had thoughts and recommendations about the coping between the concrete deck and the liner. Aluminum coping is part of the base price, but I think that concrete is more aesthetically pleasing, though it might be rough on the skin if sliding in the pool from the deck.

How do the coping materials compare with durability and impact on liner maintenance/life?
    21,000K IG Vinyl Free Form, 1.5 HP Pump, Sta-Rite filter, 5 jets, 2 drains, SWG, 200K BTU gas heater

Re: Coping - aluminum vs concrete

I would recommend paying the extra cost for the concrete coping. Asthetically is looks better and is more like a traditional gunite pool in its look (at a far lower price). I don't belive you will see any difference in the life of the liner with either material.
    24K gal. 22 X 40' Fox Lagoon IG Vinyl, 7' Fox 25 jet raised Spa, Intelliflow VS-3050 pump, Intellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Easy Touch Controller, Easy Touch Wireless Remote, Pentair Legend cleaner w/ booster pump, Pentair 250,000 BTU heater, Pentair Tagelus Sand Filter, & Pentair Intellibrite LED lighting.

I'm in the middle of a build and going with the concrete coping. This is my first liner pool so I personally can't speak of integrity of liner. My best friend put in a large L shaped pool 4 years ago and used the aluminum. The liner ripped after 1 year because the aluminum coping failed due to improper install. Her one suggestion to me was to do concrete coping.

Welcome to TFP and good luck with your new build.
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

Are you planning on putting salt into the pool? Some put it in for the water softening affects, or if your going to run a SWG. If so I would imagine the concrete would stand up to the salt water better than the aluminum.
    15,500 gal, inground gunite pool with 7 ft spa, 2 speed pump 2hp/.33hp, 3/4 hp booster pump, Intermatic P1353 timer, AutoPilot SC-48, Sand filter with ZeoBest, Heater, that I never use . . .

Quote Originally Posted by lovingHDTV
    Are you planning on putting salt into the pool? Some put it in for the water softening affects, or if your going to run a SWG. If so I would imagine the concrete would stand up to the salt water better than the aluminum.
    Yes, we are doing a SWG.

Based on recommendations, we are going with concrete coping. The diggers are breaking ground right now!
    21,000K IG Vinyl Free Form, 1.5 HP Pump, Sta-Rite filter, 5 jets, 2 drains, SWG, 200K BTU gas heater