Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New member, new inground build-Long Island

1. Back To Top    #1

New member, new inground build-Long Island

Been lurking on the site a while, finally signed up last night.
    Just signed a contract for a inground pool.
    16x36 rectangle. 3'6" to 8'6"
    Cement wall/vinyl liner
    Cement steps/vinyl covered
    Deep end steps (option)
    Diving board
    2 lights
    2 skimmers/dual deep end drains
    6 returns
    Haywood 1.5hp pump
    Haywood 4820 DE
    Auto chlorinator

We kind of decided to have both sets of steps placed on the long side.

I have a few questions...
    We are considering adding a SWG which is an additional expense. Is it worthwhile or is the auto chlorinator sufficient?

Considering adding a handrail at the shallow end steps. Anyone without one wish they had one?

Lastly, we are in the northeast, the pool will receive direct sun from the morning thru 1pm before it starts to get lost in the trees. I like the privacy and look of the trees, but would remove some of them if it will be a significant gain to the pool. Removing the trees would gain another 3 hours of sunlight.

Any comments or feedback appreciated,
    Also I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.
    Thank you,
    Mike
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New member, new inground build-Long Island

Welcome to tfp, MBG75

Quote Originally Posted by MBG75
    We are considering adding a SWG which is an additional expense. Is it worthwhile or is the auto chlorinator sufficient?
    Assuming the auto chlorinator you mention is a puck feeder, that is not a good choice for regular chlorine mainentance since the pucks (trichlor) add cya, which very soon becomes a problem. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._chlorine_pool

I like my swg a lot, but swgs still require a good understanding and regular testing of pool chemistry.

Haywood 4820 DE
    This is small (48 sq. ft.) for your ~25000 gallon pool. We would recommend a minimum DE filter size of 70 sq. ft.

Haywood 1.5hp pump
    Which model is it? We would highly recommend a 2-speed version and if there will be no high volume water features, then probably a smaller pump would be better.

6 returns
    This seems to me to be a lot of returns, will they be valved separately at the equipment pad so you can just select the ones you want?

Lastly, we are in the northeast, the pool will receive direct sun from the morning thru 1pm before it starts to get lost in the trees. I like the privacy and look of the trees, but would remove some of them if it will be a significant gain to the pool. Removing the trees would gain another 3 hours of sunlight.
    Can you wait to cut the trees until after the pool is in? With that said, afternoon sun will do the most to warm the pool.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New member, new inground build-Long Island

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Welcome to tfp, MBG75

Assuming the auto chlorinator you mention is a puck feeder, that is not a good choice for regular chlorine mainentance since the pucks (trichlor) add cya, which very soon becomes a problem. See: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-..._chlorine_pool

I like my swg a lot, but swgs still require a good understanding and regular testing of pool chemistry.

Haywood 4820 DE
    This is small (48 sq. ft.) for your ~25000 gallon pool. We would recommend a minimum DE filter size of 70 sq. ft.

Haywood 1.5hp pump
    Which model is it? We would highly recommend a 2-speed version and if there will be no high volume water features, then probably a smaller pump would be better.

6 returns
    This seems to me to be a lot of returns, will they be valved separately at the equipment pad so you can just select the ones you want?

Can you wait to cut the trees until after the pool is in? With that said, afternoon sun will do the most to warm the pool.
    Thank you Linen

I'm going to look into the pump and filter
    Info.

We are leaning towards SWG if the budget allows.

Some of the returns are for the stairs. I'll ask about valves.

As far as the trees, I can easily have them cut now. After the pool is in would be a problem as far as access.
    25k IG vinyl SWG Haywood 4830de 1.5hp TF-100