got my test kit and here's my results

shadylady23

Jul 18, 2007
Southwest NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I just got my TF test kit today and here's what I came up with.

FC 8
CC .5
TC 8.5
Ph- 6.8 (maybe even lower :( )
TA-60 (This one I wasn't sure about because it never really turned RED. So I redid the test and documented at 6 drops when it changed to a reddish/pinkish color from the green.)
CH- 50
CYA 22.5

Now, I'm thinking I should raise my TA and PH first? Then fix the cya? Should I just not even worry about the CC? I'm due to shock again tonight anyways, so it'll probably just go away I'm guessing.

Thanks for all your help! My pool is already looking better!

You want to get the PH up to at least 7.0 fairly quickly. Low PH can damage things if it is too low for too long. You can use soda ash/PH Increaser to raise the PH and it will also raise the TA at the same time. Or you can use borax to raise the PH and then adjust the TA later.

So I just added what I had at the moment which was 2 lbs of ph up and one box of borax (76 oz) Im working with 13500 gallons. I hope it's not too much, I'm not too good at the calculations and stuff. I'm going for about 7.2

Shady,

Recheck your results on the CYA......that one has a testing error

Use Jason's calc in my sig to figure correct dosage. It's a little intimidating when you open it up but just do one calc at a time...i.e. do only the pH and see if it makes sense.

It is important to measure and calculate your dosages carefully.

I'll recheck my cya again now, are you saying I made a mistake? Or the test has been bad in the past? I just checked and you are correct about the error. I'm now getting 35. I hung some in a sock last night but I know that much didn't dissolve. Thanks for the advice, I may have ended up too high.

So I just checked my TA and PH this morning and TA is at 100 and pH is at 8.2. It's been raining all night too, do you think that may have contributed to the high ph? And should I lower it, or will it lower on it's own?

You want to lower your PH. Try to always keep PH between 7.2 and 7.8. Letting the PH get too high risks calcium scaling.

If you have fresh plaster, the plaster curing will raise the PH rapidly for the first three weeks and more slowly for up to a year.

I just shocked it, went up to 16, then tested an hour later and now I show 17 FC. Maybe it's still mixing. It keeps coming back very slightly pink when I ad the 003 stuff. Then just one drop of the 871 to get back to clear. I don't understand how there could be any CC? I'm gonna check again in the morning to see if the FC drops at all. If not, should I even worry about the .5 CC? I'm still discouraged that my pool is still cloudy after a week of running the filter 24/7 and keeping my FC up even higher than the minimum. I actually got in and vacuumed a little in the middle too, so maybe that will help. (which the water is like 50 degrees!) I had some leaves still in it.

I'm trying to have patience, but I want to swim this weekend as I hear it's gonna be in the 90's. I'm at a loss what to do if this shock doesn't clear it up. Maybe I should change the sand in my filter? I've used it for 2 years. Or maybe my pump is too small? I don't know.... :(

I really appreciate all your responses and suggestions.

Thanks
Mary

If I am following correctly, last night FC was 17 and this morning it was 15, so you lost 2 overnight. That means there is still something growing in the water, though you have nearly gotten it. Maintain your FC around 15 and test for loss of FC overnight again tonight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nope not yet, It now says I don't have any CC's though. But still not clear. It got down to 10.5 today ( I wasn't home after I posted this morning) But I brought it up again about an hour ago. I will test it tonight after the sun goes down and then again in the morning. Thank you guys for helping me and kinda walking me though this.

I don't know what to do. I checked it last night at dusk. FC was 16. Then this morning at 8:20 am it's at 14. It rained again last night, do you think that could eat up 2? Also, even though the sun wasn't out because it's raining, do you think since I didn't come out and test it in the early morning that would make a difference? OR... should I maintain it at 15 again all day and then moniter through the night AGAIN? :(

Shady,

It seems like you are pretty close. Since you test for no CC's, and you lost very little FC overnite, all that would seem to remain is to get your water clear.........but, the way to do that is to continue the process of brushing, vacuuming, backwash/clean as necessary and run high levels of FC.

(I don't think the rain or the 8:30 test had any effect)

I think it would be fine if you dropped your daytime dosage a little so why don't you try this. Test and carefully add enough to get you to fifteen each evening. Then, test again in the morning.

That way, it'll be a little less work and you can still test your overnite loss.

Be patient on this last bit of cloudy water....it often takes a while. Just be sure to keep FC in there all the time.

Thanks, I'll do that. I still need to get my TA up too. It's still at 80. My ph is 7.5 though. I put like 4 cups of We are changing the sand tomorrow just to be sure it not the sand. Last summer we sealed our deck and a bunch of sealer got in the pool water and floated on the top. So maybe it's all hardened in there. I don't know, but it's worth a try.

Okay, so between the last two days I have put in about 5-6 pounds of baking soda and my TA has actually gone DOWN. Does it take a while to show up? I don't want to end up putting too much in. Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.