Filter sand change dumb newbie question

Jun 16, 2013
I hope I am not posting this in the wrong place!

I have an above-ground pool which I am converting from Baquacil to chlorine. I bought the house last year and so I'm also new to running a pool. This site has been super-helpful for me, but I do have a question I can't find an answer to.

I have followed the conversion steps and I'm testing the overnight chlorine loss and hope to be able to change the sand in my filter soon. I'm looking forward to this because 1) I don't know how old or gross that sand is; 2) ants seem to be living in the sand; and 3) it means I can soon use the pool!

However, I am worried about keeping the water in the pool while I change out the sand. I have a plug for the skimmer which should prevent that from draining, but what about the return? Should I have a plug for that as well? Is such a thing available, or should I just use the cork from a wine bottle (my dad's suggestion). I have put a lot of water into that pool and I would prefer that it stays there!

I am sure others will chime in, but based on everything I've learned and understand..most likely your sand is OK.

A good cleaning might be in order vs. a change out...sand does not wear out.

There is a link somewhere on how to change, but I can't find/remember where it is...stay tuned though for sure and best of luck!

There are a couple of ways of blocking the skimmer and return lines. A tennis ball usually does a good job of blocking the skimmer. Sometimes you can block the return with a rag, other times it is simpler to remove the hose at the filter end and toss the end over the wall of the pool while you are working on the filter.

Smykowski said:
Just for clarification, a baqua to chlorine conversion is one of the few scenarios where a sand change is required.

As to your specific question, do you not have any valves in the plumbing?
No, as far as I can tell there are no valves, everything is just connected directly. All the hoses are (now) clamped on to the pipes at both ends. When the pool was winterized, the pipes were removed and all the inlets/outlets were left open.

JasonLion said:
There are a couple of ways of blocking the skimmer and return lines. A tennis ball usually does a good job of blocking the skimmer. Sometimes you can block the return with a rag, other times it is simpler to remove the hose at the filter end and toss the end over the wall of the pool while you are working on the filter.
Thanks Jason, I wondered about putting the hose back into the pool. The rag is also a good idea. Should everything be blocked before I remove the drain plug from the filter and let the water out of it?

Reporting back to say I did it! I changed the sand and reassembled the filter and nothing exploded (which was my #1 goal after changing the sand)! I felt very empowered about this pool after that experience.

However, I am having some water leaking out from the valve assembly, some from under the flange (? -- the two-piece collar that holds everything together) and some from the pressure gauge. My neighbor gave me some teflon tape for the gauge and tightened the screws some more on the collar but there is still some water coming out. He suggested buying a new flange -- will that solve the problem or do I need to do something else as well? The filter is a Hayward S210T.

Did you put pool lube (NOT Vasoline!!) on the O-ring when you reassembled it? Did you make absolutely sure there was nothing (not even a hair!) in the O-ring groove or on the O-ring?

You may have to take the valve head off again and re-seat it.

If you did ensure nothing on the O-ring or in the grooves except lube, then here's a process both heavy equipment mechanics and aircraft powerplant mechanics use on that type of clamp assembly:

As you tighten both screws (must be done equally) gently tap the clamp ring halves with a rubber mallot to help seat the clamp and bring the two parts together.

Charlie_R said:
Did you put pool lube (NOT Vasoline!!) on the O-ring when you reassembled it? Did you make absolutely sure there was nothing (not even a hair!) in the O-ring groove or on the O-ring?

You may have to take the valve head off again and re-seat it.

If you did ensure nothing on the O-ring or in the grooves except lube, then here's a process both heavy equipment mechanics and aircraft powerplant mechanics use on that type of clamp assembly:

As you tighten both screws (must be done equally) gently tap the clamp ring halves with a rubber mallot to help seat the clamp and bring the two parts together.

If I ask what is pool lube I think that answers your first question. So, what is pool lube? Where can I get it? If I am going to detach and reattach the valve do I need to drain the filter again?

Pool lube is a silicon based lubricant, sold at most pool stores. It can also be found at plumbing supply stores and sometimes in the plumbing section of hardware stores. If at the plumbing section/store, it is call plumber's lube.

You would only need to do a partial drain of your filter. Be sure to use the lube on all gaskets/O-rings on your pool equipment, This will help preserve and extend the life of these items.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks Charlie, the pool lube (and cleaning the edges) worked like a charm! I was able to get into the pool for the first time yesterday (had to install a new ladder) and I'm so happy with the quality of the water. I am looking forward to a terrific summer of enjoying my pool!

Congrats on a job well done!

(psssst... I use plastic shopping bags to plug my skimmer and return... ) :mrgreen: ((Just make sure you take them out before starting the pump!!!)) :shock:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.