Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Estimating gallons

1. Back To Top    #1

Estimating gallons

Hi, I'm learning that the previous pool owner was either a liar or completely clueless. Pool light issues, depth of pool we were told about, etc.

Now, I was told we have an 18k gallon pool. I'm thinking it is quite a bit less than that based on what I can figure using wiki.

Free form pool
    22 ft long
    Widest width 14 ft
    Narrowest width 11 ft
    Shallow end 3 ft
    Deep end 6 ft
    7 ft wide jacuzzi(round)

How many gallons do you think my pool really is( including jacuzzi)?

Thanks friends
    New pool owner 3/2013 14,000 gal pebble tec, 7 ft jacuzzi with spillover into pool.
    FNS +48 DE filter, raypak2100 heater, Pentair whisper flo 1.5, Hayward pool cleaner. TF 100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Estimating gallons

The pool calc will help you out...

http://www.poolcalculator.com/

Go to the very bottom and you will get a solid estimate
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

3. Back To Top    #3

Use pool calculator and break it down into sections of the pool at the time.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, what a difference. Seems like it is about 9400 gallons, almost half of what I was told. sheesh.
    New pool owner 3/2013 14,000 gal pebble tec, 7 ft jacuzzi with spillover into pool.
    FNS +48 DE filter, raypak2100 heater, Pentair whisper flo 1.5, Hayward pool cleaner. TF 100 test kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Mmmm, I got quite a bit higher than that...close to 12K
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

6. Back To Top    #6

Hmmm....
    Do I figure out average depth by adding shallow +deep and divide by 2 or am I way off? I was never good at geometry

7. Back To Top    #7

Is the wide section the deep end ?

How deep is the jacuzzi ?

8. Back To Top    #8

Jacuzzi is 3.5 ft at deepest. 1.5 at the seat.
    7 ft diameter

Pool is free-form. Measured in several areas the width. Widest point 14 ft. ave of the rest of the widths is 11ft.