pH good - TA wants to drift up

Rossko

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 8, 2013
Oklahoma City, OK
I read pool school, got the tft-100, asked questions and received almost immediate answers from you guys - I'm in complete control of my pool now - fixed my SWG (with advice from here) and was confident using bleach before SWG came back online - basically my "pool store" bill has dropped from about 140/month (algae killer, phos free, scale remover) to about 32/month (muriatic acid) - bringing me to a big THANK YOU (became lifetime member today :wave: ) and my question:

I worked hard to get my TA down so I could borate the pool - and I did - had it down to 80. After borates my acid requirement (32% muriatic) is about 40 Oz every other day to keep the pH around 7.4-7.5 - this is markedly less than before borates; however my TA is creeping up - it's now up to 120. I've seen some posts where people said just control your pH and the TA will find it's happy point - mine TA happy point seems to be borderline too high, and I'm not sure where it's going to stop - if it goes up any higher will probably loose sleep over it :) . My CSI hangs around 0 on the pool calc.

So do I stick with the 40 Oz every other day to keep pH 7.4-7.5 and let TA go where it does OR do I keep the TA low (involves adding 60 Oz Muriatic acid twice a day and aerating (running water fall). It's a difference of 1 gallon Muriatic acid every 6 days or 1 gallon/day - that's a big difference.

This evening (sun off pool)
FC 4.5 CC 0.5
pH 7.5
TA 120
CYA 50 (bringing it up slowly since I got SWG back online, added some yesterday so giving it time before adding more)
CH 450 (well water)
Borates about 50

Water is clear

Because you have an SWG, you will probably do better with a TA around 60-70.

Lower your TA using the acid/aeration process found in pool school. You cannot do it by adding muriatic acid alone....you must aerate as well.

Yes I do have an autofill - it's like a toilet bowl float system hooked to my sprinkler - we've been having 100 degree plus days - I also added about 2 inches from hose as part of my salt water generator saga misreading the salt level - I bet that was it - ok will acid/aerate it down again and then see what it does without extra-curricular additions. I think it did creep up from 80 to 100 even before the addition, however.

So TA can't drift up on it's own? good to know. Thought my SWG manual said it would.

my TFT kit is band new and I've been double checking it with my older taylor type kit as well but I'll read through that static electricity issue.

Rossko said:
Yes I do have an autofill - it's like a toilet bowl float system hooked to my sprinkler - we've been having 100 degree plus days - I also added about 2 inches from hose as part of my salt water generator saga misreading the salt level - I bet that was it - ok will acid/aerate it down again and then see what it does without extra-curricular additions. I think it did creep up from 80 to 100 even before the addition, however.

So TA can't drift up on it's own? good to know. Thought my SWG manual said it would.

my TFT kit is band new and I've been double checking it with my older taylor type kit as well but I'll read through that static electricity issue.
pH will climb with the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.