DE filter, pressure dropping

Whatrymes

LifeTime Supporter
May 30, 2011
E. Bridgewater, MA
Hi:

This is a first. After I backwash/recharge my DE filter the pressure has always run, for years, between 10 - 11 psi as long as it's clean. But now I've noticed that it's been down to 8 the last couple of days. I've recharged it, cleaned the baskets, checked the weir, all is clear. The return feels normal and I do not see any air bubbles, I'm stumped.

That could happen if you have a build-up of air in the filter that gets compressed. Then when the pump shuts off, the air pushes water backward through the filter into the pump.

Another possibility regarding the lower pressure is that some debris is stuck in your impeller.

I'm not familiar with the inner workings of a pool pump so I don't know if the problem is the impeller and everything "feels" normal. The pressure from the return, the suction at the weir. I cleaned, lubed and Teflon taped everything I could. Checked for debris, tightened everything and turned on the power. Wow, my pressure was back to normal and held for my morning cycle. But after the power cut, the pot once again was full of DE (?) and when the power returned, the pressure was the lowest it's been.

So, while I'm waiting for someone to take a look at this, is there a downside? Should I run as normal?

Thank you,
Ed

I'm curious to hear what you find out. This just happened to me as well. Pressure was always 15 since last year and this season. I bumped it and it started running at around 12. I also noticed de in the pool.

Just took apart the filter and acid washed the fingers. Was expecting to find holes and tears but nothing. Everything looked good.

Just put it back together and its running at 11, which at least now I expect it to do since I just cleaned it. Hoping I dont see any DE in the pool when I check it later.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.