Newbie needs help with testing

Apr 26, 2013
Hi just finished testing after reading through Pool School few times. Have a few questions

Background:
I have a 21000 gal kidney shape pool that we just finished replastering a couple of weeks ago.

I had a pool guy do the start up and now Im going to try to take over maintenance myself using BBB. So here are the results form my 1st ever test using K2006 kit

FC - 2.8
CC - 0 ? (after adding 5 drops of R-0003, the sample did NOT turn pink) perhaps I did something wrong here?
pH - 7.8
TA - 220
Cal hardness - 310
CYA - ??? the dot did not disappear does this mean there is no CYA?

Im not sure I about these test results. Your input is welcomed
Thanks

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

You need to get CYA in the pool....you have zero. Tell us how you intend to chlorinate and we'll tell you how much CYA to add.

PS - CC of ZERO is a good thing.

Thanks for the quick response.

On the advice of the pool guy I put in 2 packs of KEMTek Super Shock Quick 20. Now Im suspect of this guys knowledge though. Shouldnt he have added CYA during the start up process? Anyway I plan on going to Walmart for some bleach. I need to get CYA at the pool store right?

Thanks for answering all the noob questions :lol:

Go to poolcalculator.com, enter you pool size and desired CYA value (40? 50?) and it will tell you how many pounds. Read pool school to see how to add it.

It is sold as Conditioner or Stabilizer at the WM andHD. Make sure to confirm the % in the active ingredient panel.

Background:
I have a 21000 gal kidney shape pool that we just finished replastering a couple of weeks ago.
You should follow the instructions the plasterer gave on how to start up the pool to maintain warranty. With that said,

With the new plaster, I suggest you use Trichlor Tabs to add both Chlorine and CYA slowly. Also, being acidic, they will help control the pH rise.

Pool School's Start-Up Guide:
pool-school/pool_plaster_start-up

Here's a link to the National Plasterers Council Start-Up Card:

http://www.npconline.org/assets/documen ... UpCard.pdf

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.