Stains on steps

reneec

Jun 12, 2007
I have finally got my pool crystal clear using the BBB method. I am very happy. However I have brown stains on my steps. I am not sure what they are from, but they weren't there when I closed the pool. I have tried a scrub brush and magic eraser. Neither seem to work. Any suggestions. I have a beautiful pool with ugly steps. Please help. :cry:

I recall reading on here if you have any pucks, rub one on the stain and see if it disappears, then you know its organic. There is also a way to tell if it's a metal stain. IF it's a metal stain it won't disappear when rubbed....

Did you do a search for metal stains?

To check for metal stains, simply rub some pure ascorbic acid (Vit C) on the effected area and see if the stain lessens - if so, it's metal and we can help you deal with it -- or you could just keep rubbing vitamin C on all the stains.

waste said:
To check for metal stains, simply rub some pure ascorbic acid (Vit C) on the effected area and see if the stain lessens - if so, it's metal and we can help you deal with it -- or you could just keep rubbing vitamin C on all the stains.

Thats it! Vitamin C.... I knew you experts would be along shortly.... :-D

I finally got the vitamin C and rubbed it on my steps. It seems to remove the stain. Now what do I do. There is too much to keep rubbing with vitamin C is there another way to get rid of know that I know that vitamin C will take it off. Thanks for all your help

It is a 'metal remover' like Jack's Magic, Proteam Metal Magic, Sequasol, etc. You get it at the pool store. I would stay away from Naturalchemistry's MetalFree (or other metal removers that do not add phosphates--the main ingredient will be EDTA) because they are not as effective. The ingredient you want in the product will be HEDP or phosphonic acid or a phosphonic acid derivative.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.